Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow broadband speed

This is a discussion on Extremely slow broadband speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm paying for unlimited Sky broadband with a telephone line, although I have don't have a telephone installed, until about ...

weepingwillow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extremely slow broadband speed

I'm paying for unlimited Sky broadband with a telephone line, although I have don't have a telephone installed, until about 8 weeks ago my internet was working perfectly fine at around 8mbps, this was perfect for me as i could watch youtube videos and movies online, but then all of a sudden my internet speed dropped for no reason at all to the point where i'm now getting speeds of 0.27mbps, youtube videos take 10 minutes to load and there is no way in a million years i can watch movies anymore.

What is the reason for my sudden drop in speed?

I don't download anything at all except updates for my laptop.

A BT engineer who lives on my street said that we were being coupled up with someone else as there was not enough space on our telephone pole, could this affect my internet speeds?

I rang Sky just before Christmas and they did a test on the line and the exchange and said my line failed, they just keep telling me that I need to plug in a telephone to test it, I don't know why they don't send someone out and give me the broadband I am paying for!

Please help!

Here is my current speed:

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Extremely slow broadband speed

Post your stats
      How to get your router statistics

A BT engineer who lives on my street said that we were being coupled up with someone else as there was not enough space on our telephone pole, could this affect my internet speeds?
      I don't think this can possibly be true, but if it is it will certainly effect your speed. Do you pay Sky for the phone rental?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weepingwillow View Post
      I rang Sky just before Christmas and they did a test on the line and the exchange and said my line failed, they just keep telling me that I need to plug in a telephone to test it, I don't know why they don't send someone out and give me the broadband I am paying for!
      You have a pstn fault, but you need to check with a phone to see what the actual issue is i.e. no dial tone, noise on the line etc.

Once you've got the phone and confirmed if there is or isn't a issue with your voice service, call Sky and they'll action accordingly.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Router Stats

I pay for Sky Phone rental.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extremely slow broadband speed-rs.jpg  

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Until you get a phone on the line to check Sky aren't really going to do anything. Go buy a cheap corded handset and see what's going on and then call Sky Talk to raise the fault
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

You can get a corded phone from Argos for under a fiver, until you get one you will get nowhere.
      Buy Argos Value Range Corded Telephone at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Corded telephones.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can get a corded phone from Argos for under a fiver, until you get one you will get nowhere.
      Buy Argos Value Range Corded Telephone at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Corded telephones.
      I bought one of those phones today and plugged in to in to the micro filter, there is no dial tone, just a hissing sound on the line.

I then rang Sky customer services and they can't do anything until tomorrow because they are having upgrades or something.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Make sure that you've tested the handset direct at the test socket without any filters or other equipment. Provided what you said previously about the line test Sky ran showing a fault, then if you give them a call tomorrow they can log this to Openreach.

Thanks

I bought one of those phones today and plugged in to in to the micro filter, there is no dial tone, just a hissing sound on the line.
      Just to be 100% sure, try the phone in your neighbours phone or a relation's. If it is OK report the fault to Sky or whoever you pay your phone rental to. This no doubt contributing to your poor broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weepingwillow View Post
      That makes no sense what so ever. The fact that you have no DT and speeds have fallen off so much suggest one leg is off, either at the master socket or a broken drop wire. Either way you should find once you ahve DT again the speeds will go back to normal.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.