Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

please take pity on me any advice appreciated on why I am on such a slow speed

This is a discussion on please take pity on me any advice appreciated on why I am on such a slow speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle! I am at the end of my tether with ...

hamilton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: morpeth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

please take pity on me any advice appreciated on why I am on such a slow speed

Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle!

I am at the end of my tether with my slow connection and am going round in circles with Sky and BT. Basically up until today (weird coincidence ) I have been on a speed of less than 1mb on sky unlimited, as of today it's 1.5.

I live in a fairly rural area about 2 miles from the exchange so I'm not expecting miracles but the thing that is annoying me is that I live in a small cul de sac in a village and all my neighbours on all sides (houses are about 2 metres apart ) are getting at least 4mb. Some are with SKY and the rest with BT.

SKY just keep telling me that my line is only capable of 1.5 max. BT say 2.5 max. They just plead ignorance when I mention all my neighbours and SKY just keep saying it's the lines fault as it's the distance from the exchange. I know this plays a part but I feel I am being fobbed off. 2 of my neighbours ended up getting their speed increased after getting in touch with SKY. one got the engineer out but SKY have said this will cost me 150

I don't know what to do, I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I've looked at several sites that with my postcode tells me I should be getting just under 4. I've also tried to obtain some stats that mean nothing to me but may trigger some advice from you guys. Here goes...

ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030i.d22k
      ADSL LInk up
      Download connection 1504 kbps
      Upload 416
      VPI 0
      VCI 40
      Download speed test 6pm 30 December 1.25mbps
      upload 0.33

System up time- 130:32:02
      port status txpkts rxpkts collisions txbs rxbs uptime
      wan mer 11698 370651 0 1758 84508 01:15:35
      lan 11358 68955 0 225 25 130:34:43
      wlan 336502 270585 0 75898 15512 01:15:37

ADSL LINK downstream upstream
      Connection speed 1504 416
      line attenuation 63.5db 31.5db
      noise margin 12.4db 16.0db

Hope that some of this makes sense, any help greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: please take pity on me any advice appreciated on why I am on such a slow speed

This should help explain what you can expect :-

Sky router stats (speed, noise, attenuation) explained

From that and your posted line attenuation the most you can expect is around 2 meg.

You dont say how long you have been with Sky as there is a "line training" process called DLM which if you are new may still be active.

Your NM is a tad high, another set of stats taken from the test socket would help in any potential diagnosis.

Try your master socket for better results

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: please take pity on me any advice appreciated on why I am on such a slow speed

There does not appear to be any reason why you cannot get a 2.5-3Mb download and .0.8Mb upload. It is just a case of getting someone on Sky to configure the line properly. Unfortunately too many will just look at your configured speed and say you are getting all you can. When you phone them again ask to be passed to the Customer Solutions Team as you are sure your line can do better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mike306 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I found them to be really helpful and they got me an extra 3mb on my line. Line stats aren't great but I have a feeling its internal telephone wiring that causes our problems. Good luck.