Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

MER > PPPoA Session Clipping

This is a discussion on MER > PPPoA Session Clipping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Nothing appears to have shown up in this regard that wasn't attributed to a line or hardware issue, so: I ...

gadyke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oswestry
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box

MER > PPPoA Session Clipping

Nothing appears to have shown up in this regard that wasn't attributed to a line or hardware issue, so:

I (like most users, now) had my line moved over to MER and VC40 at some point in the past year, having previously used a non-sky modem, gateway and AP before switching back to the Sagem for a few months.

Of course, the Sagem did what it does best and collapsed completely under our normal (and completely legal, I might add) household load, so I ended up picking up an integrated modem/router/AP to replace it again, this time a Draytek 2710n. However, I now find myself suffering session timeouts and connection clipping (cutting off any given TCP stream after between 512KB and 5000KB). I have good line stats, generally consistent among the various modems and routers I have on hand to test with, all well within a 7db margin.

Before I go pulling apart the (largely factory default) config in the router I'd like to double check that nobody else who has shifted back from a MER-enabled line to bog-standard PPPoA has had issues, so that I can exclude (short of a fault) Sky's behaviour from my troubleshooting.

tl;dr: Those of you using non-Sky routers on formerly MER-enabled lines, have you noticed any issues?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: MER > PPPoA Session Clipping

My line supports both MER & PPPoA.

With the Sky router it will go to MER, but with my own I use PPPoA without any problems.

There are a few posts over the past year where people have had issues setting up a PPPoA connection, but I am sure most of them were due to incorrect settings and most are now working fine.

Remember the VCI on MER is 40, but with PPPoA it is 38. The other common area where people have problems is generating the correct login details. Copy and Paste is the recommended method, using Notepad to keep the details safe.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: MER > PPPoA Session Clipping

You might like to have a look at this thread for instructions on connecting a Draytek by MER. It is not a perfect solution, but as good as it gets at the moment.
      DrayTek 2830 connecting via MER

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.