Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL Exchange Questions

This is a discussion on ADSL Exchange Questions within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just noticed from the BT Order Checker that my line was regraded from something called IPStream Home 2000 to ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

ADSL Exchange Questions

I've just noticed from the BT Order Checker that my line was regraded from something called IPStream Home 2000 to IPStream Max.

Now, I used to be with Pipex who kept maintaining that BT told them my line was only good for 1mbps. I don't know how this could have been if BT had installed a product called IPStream 2000 and, indeed, Pipex could have got my line changed to the speeds I am getting now.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. My questions are:

1. Why have I been put on the connect pakage if my line has been enabled for Max?

2. What is ADSL2 and where does it fit into the great scheme of things with Sky Broadband?

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I am on the Connect package and according to the BT order tracker my line was changed over from IPStream Home 2000 to IPStream Max. I don't think this has anything to do with the actually Max product from Sky but more likely it is something to do with the changeover from Pipex to Sky. I used to only get 2MB from BT before the change over and now I can get up to 6MB from Sky.

You are on the Connect package as your exchange does not yet have the Sky equipment in it. Like me you are on this package until a time comes where Sky do put their stuff in your exchange and then you can be upgraded to the Mid or Max products.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @Restorer

IPStream Home 2000 was the old maximum packed ISPs could provide before MAX Adsl was introduced

IPStream Max is the new MAX Adsl up to 8MB.

So yes you have been put on the right package.

It is not the LLU Max Package which is up to 16MB and more exchanges are being unbundled to give greater coverage.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Methinks it's the word max that is confusing everything. So how and where does ADSL2 fit into the scheme of things?

Oh, and do I need to train my router on the package I have?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      As you are on the Connect package yes you will so don't turn the router off or you will really mess it up. Yes Max does cause some confusion but nowadays what doesn't.

From what I can gather the following are all LLU (not to sure though)
      Base = ADSL
      Mid = ADSL2
      Max = ADSL2+
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Dave37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Exclamation Router on/off

I,m new to using a router, so I always switch mine off at the wall at night because it's in the bedroom and the green lights iluminate the room. Do I understand correctly, that this is a bad idea.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 07-10-06 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Please do not quote the preceding post.Please use QUOTE sparingly please use @User Name this helps keep the forum tidy thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Dave

If you are on the Connect package it is important.

Routers are designed to be left on all the time and they can get very temperamental if they get hot and cold all the time, so it is a good idea to put the legs on them and stand them up and leave them on.
      Ray

click here

Dave37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Thumbs up Router on/off

Yes I'm on connect, (3000Kbps max on my Line) getting about 900Kbps today, sometimes 350Kbps, or lower, after midnight upto 1400Kbps. If I leave it on I take it this might improve speeds. I have it flat on desk at the moment, I'll try putting the legs on it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If you would like to go here >>Myth and magic of Max<< Dave it will explain it to you.
      Ray

click here