Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cancelled sky broadband at student house - it still works and sky don't care?

This is a discussion on Cancelled sky broadband at student house - it still works and sky don't care? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey, First post here so hello to all and you'll probably find this a bit of a strange thing for ...

mike306 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cancelled sky broadband at student house - it still works and sky don't care?

Hey,

First post here so hello to all and you'll probably find this a bit of a strange thing for anyone to mention but -

I was responsible for the broadband when I was doing my degree, and upon leaving this year cancelled it and now have a sky package with my partner. The sky broadband where I was staying however, is still working.

I rang sky to inform them of this fact and they said its disconnected and not active to which I replied that it was, and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Just wondering whether to leave them alone or inform them again perhaps in writing. I don't want any comeback saying "you've had bb for x months for free, pay up" as a result of this!

Thanks for any advice guys

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Cancelled sky broadband at student house - it still works and sky don't care?

This happens quite often. Even though your subscription has ended, the port at the exchange has not be disabled or reconfigured. It remains active until a sweep is performed. Sometimes the sweep does not take place, and I've seen cases where the broadband has been provided free for years. The issue is normally only highlighted when the customer has an issue.

Most advisers are not aware of this, and will deny your service. They'll simply say 'Well there is nothing we can do'

In truth, there is a lot that can be done. However they won't charge you for it. One day the service may stop working, and if you call to complain they'll tell you to resubscribe for assistance.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Cancelled sky broadband at student house - it still works and sky don't care?

I have a new sky subscription where I live now though! We're just debating adding tv to the broadband and calls package. I'm wondering when it finally does go dead if they require a mac code to get any other service!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike306 View Post
      ...I'm wondering when it finally does go dead if they require a mac code to get any other service!
      The line will be marked as 'clear' on the database, so they can just sign up to a new supplier.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

They will not need a MAC from that line to sign up. If they needed a MAC at all it would be from the previous ISP on another line.

The line may still be tagged by Sky but that will be removed when someone else signs up. I could be wrong but Sky may leave lines active intentionally as BTO would charge them to cease the ADSL on the line. It may be cheaper for them to leave it running until someone else wants the line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I don't think the people will ever sign up to a new provider while the current one works and they aren't paying a penny!

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike306 View Post
      I don't think the people will ever sign up to a new provider while the current one works and they aren't paying a penny!
      That's right, anyone with a Sky router can connect and get free broadband. It will probably stay connected until Sky need the slot on the exchange for another customer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.