Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

new to sky, connection seems slow...

This is a discussion on new to sky, connection seems slow... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, First post . Just switched to Sky BB unlimited as previously had a BT ADSL Max connection paid ...

holtehero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ely
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

new to sky, connection seems slow...

Hello everyone,

First post .

Just switched to Sky BB unlimited as previously had a BT ADSL Max connection paid for by my company. Using the same line and a Thomson router i used to tweak the SNR using DMT and my connection was stable on a SNR of 4db and got around a 2 meg connection.

Now since sky was installed, i've been struggling to get anything above 1024. I realise that DLM is currently running (started on 21/12) and at the moment its giving me 512Kbps, though i can see the SNR is up at just over 12db and steady. I was under the impression DLM should be trying to set a speed around the target SNR of 7db, unless sky have introduced a speed cap already based on what they think my line is capable of.

I've left the router plugged in and its connected to an ADSL nation face plate with the bell ringer wire removed. I checked on the first day and the SNR is the same via the face plate as if plugged straight into the master socket.

Currently my stats are as shown in attachment

I have extracted my username and password and have access to a Billion 7800N and a Netgear DG834GT

I have a few questions on what I could do once the DLM period is over

1) Could i ask sky to manually set a profile/cap of 2048
      2) Could i ask for the lowest gaming profile which i understand is also 2048 (and doesn't use DLM)
      3) If i change the Sagem 2504N router for one of the others will i be able to tweak SNR to try and gain a few more kbps

I realise my line is quite long so not expecting miracles, but was at least hoping for 1.5 meg

Thanks in advance

HH
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new to sky, connection seems slow...-router-stats.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: new to sky, connection seems slow...

Looking at your WAN uptime it looks like DLM is still running on your line. Sky are reluctant to do anything until it completes. It does look like you will end up with around 2 Mb.

There are quite a few using their own router and tweaking your noise margin. How successful this is depends on how high Sky are prepared to set your line.

In the end it may suit your line better to be put on G.DMT, the same as you had with BT, as this sometimes performs better on long lines such as yours. but give DLM a chance to complete.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

holtehero is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ely
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: new to sky, connection seems slow...

Thanks for the quick reply

I'll let DLM complete and see what it ends up with, the experience so far is that it has taken me from 1024 to 768 and now to 512

If i remember correctly at 1024 the SNR was 9.4 - 9.6db

if i'm still struggling should i contact sky to ask for G.DMT and a 2Meg profile as i know i can then use the Billion and set that to connect via G.DMT too, plus i can then see if i can tweak it any further using the SNR tweaks