Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I opt out of SVBN?

This is a discussion on Should I opt out of SVBN? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've very recently transferred to Sky Broadband/Talk, and despite a few teething troubles (the router arrived a week after ...

fourmi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01865
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Should I opt out of SVBN?

Hi, I've very recently transferred to Sky Broadband/Talk, and despite a few teething troubles (the router arrived a week after Broadband was activated), I've been pleasantly surprised by my broadband speed: downstream connection of 7530 kbps, which for my line attenuation of 44.5 dB / noise margin of about 7dB appears to be near the maximum I can expect, and indeed results in an actual download speed of about 6.5Mb - 0.5 Mb greater than I was getting previously through BT. I also find that peak time speeds are hardly different from off-peak, which is a *lot* different from BT. So I'm happy.

However, today I got the letter telling me I'm due to move to SVBM on 05/01/12. I have two concerns:

1) I may experience a reduction in line speed - SKY advised I should only expect 4Mb when I originally signed up, and I'm worried that if the speed reduced to this they would just say that I'd been warned.

2) If I wanted to move back to BT after 12 months (eg for Infinity) it would be a lot harder.

Sky are offering me the opportunity to opt out of the move - is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is there any real prospect of a significant service improvement?

Thanks for any advice you can give...

*Edit* my assumption I could opt out was based on the last bit on http://www.sky.com/networktransfer

Can I contact Sky if I’m concerned about the network changes or don’t wish to move?

If you have some more questions, or would rather we did not move your services onto the new Sky Voice and Broadband Network please call 08442 410 046. You’ll need your Sky customer number handy.
      Looking around the forum, and indeed my T&C's, it appears that this may no longer be the case. Can anyone confirm?
      Last edited by fourmi; 19-12-11 at 10:42 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Should I opt out of SVBN?

If you can stay on the BT network then do so
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

fourmi (19-12-11)

fourmi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01865
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Should I opt out of SVBN?

I'll give it a go...