Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

line config

This is a discussion on line config within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, hope i can get some views and info about my line config. Basiclly we decided to have our ...

del0012003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

line config

Hi everyone,
      hope i can get some views and info about my line config.
      Basiclly we decided to have our phone switched to sky from bt to make some savings. We alrealdy had sky tv and broadband. Now at the time we first got broadband because we came from ukonline, they agreed to keep my line profile the same and it was great as we even stayed on fastpath. Now despite the fact that they promised that switching the phone to them would not affect my broadband profile well it did reset it. I gave them a call to try to put back my saved profile but they said this was no longer possible, grrrr. not even fasth path as they say i have been put on a different dslam.
      Now, they even say it's not possible to set a predefined download config speed like i had but can only set it to 4 meg,8 meg,..
      Also despite having both snr's at 7,7,2,2 they say it's now not possible to set the upload snr to 7 anymore ? (lost a lost of speed there too)
      And finally they have put my delay,interleave(4) to 8ms and get a ping to bbc.co.uk of around 22m's is that about the best anybody gets ?
      I have noticed that i'm now on a broadcom chipset instead of globespan and this they say being the reason why they can't put my line back like it was until yesterday because this dslam works differently. Is this all true ?
      Thanks ever so much for your thoughts.
      Phil.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: line config

I am afraid you have fallen into the trap that many do, by changing your contract by getting Rental any previous agreements, discounts, line settings, etc, fall by the wayside. The Sky Voice and Broadband Network is completely different from the BT based line you were previously on. The one who told you all your settings would remain was wrong. I would imagine the person who told you this was in Sales, who it is well known will tell you anything to make the sale.

The standard noise margin setting for both up and down is 7db. However the router will not always sync at this rate. Many have complained about this in the past, to no avail. As you can see from my stats it is possible.
      Connection Speed 9136 kbps 1115 kbps (capped to 9216/1216)
      Line Attenuation...... 38 db 22 db
      Noise Margin.............8 db 7 db
      Your ping of 22ms is very good by Sky standards, many would pay extra for that. There is a wide range of speeds the line can be set to, from 1 Mb right up to 20 Mb. Most knowledgeable users prefer to have the line completely uncapped, which is possible if you get the right tech.

If you post your stats we will be able to advise if you are getting the best from your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky have never officially used fastpath, only some have had it at the risk of the agent being pulled up for it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for that, so i take it 22 ms ping to bbc.co.uk is still reasonable and better than then average ?
      Now as for just changing my phone line from bt to sky, yes i do understand that it was kinda misold to me promesing my line config you stay the same, i have to say, they're not helpfull to put me back on my old profile ( don't even know if they would admit it's still saved like it should be )
      As for fasthpath, yes i do know that they don't provide it but when switching from ukonline they promised they would leave me on it and so it was for over a year now.

I'm an adsl freak and some would think that i'm pushing it, but when you had something, and you upgrade, you'd like it to stay the same.
      and all this chit chat about not being able to put my line back to what it was until yesterday does my head in.

I'm not to upset about fasthpath but would have liked my line to be configured like they did a year ago and surely have my up snr put back to 7.

Here's a mail i got from sky about a year ago with the line config i had that seems impossible to put back now
      and 2 screens shots as what i had until yesterday and my new line stats.
      you'll see that i don't use adsl2+ as for my long line gdmt line code is better
      Still a shame, i regret that i have changed my phone line to them now.

----------------------------------------

till yesterday:
      http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...10421_0747.png

today:
      http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...11215_2134.png

and the mail from sky for my line config last year:

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre about this.

Today I have phoned and we have spoken a bit more on the technical side off your sky broadband speed. As requested that it was better to have the settings best to service. Below I have made the changes live on call and to show this the changes made and put this note on to your sky account for future reference.

Speed

downstream (fastpath)
      trained in 4800 kbps
      configured 6080 kbps
      min bit rate 128 kbps
      max attainable rate 4928 kbps

upstream (fastpath)
      trained in 960 kbps
      configured 1184 kbps
      min bit rate 128 kbps
      max attainable rate 960 kbps

Line quality statistics

downstream
      Attenuation: 50 db
      actual SNR 7 db

Upstream
      Attenuation: 31 db
      actual SNR 7 db

Line Quality Settings

Line Code G.dmt
      Latency path fastpath/fastpath
      Downstream and Uploadstream

Impulse Noise Protection auto.
      target SNR 7 db
      Min SNR 0 db
      Max delay 32 ms

I hope this helps with your enquiry if you have any other concerns or questions your can either email back or call our broadband technical team on 08442 410 515.

Kind regards

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Your line does have it's SNR at 7dB, so you're getting as good as you will on Sky BB. As said it's the move to the Sky network which has now affected things and it can't be changed. Whereas on the BT network all aspects of the line could be configured independently the Sky network has preset 'profiles' that have settings at set levels

And profiles can't be 'saved' - never have been, just the notes left by the agent
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi, thanks, the snr is not at 7 for the upload, and it was only a switch for the phone line not the broadband that was on llu with sky for over a year

Thanks

You may have been on Sky LLU but with BT rental you were connecting through the easynet dslam in the exchange. This is known as Shared Metal Path Facilities. You are now on the Sky Voice and Broadband Network, which is a completely different network, using ISAMs, This is known as Full Metal Path Facilities . When you take Sky Rental you go on the SVBN, your broadband moves at the same time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, i understand now, do you think it is true that being on ISAMs, they are limited on the way they can configure ? for me i always beleived they could do anything they want if you find the right person. In the mean time my line got reset again last night,...back to square one,..

Thanks

do you think it is true that being on ISAMs, they are limited on the way they can configure ?
      That is true, they do not have the same range of settings as on the DSLAMs which are much more configurable.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for that, i guess i'll have to continue trying to get the best out my line,..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast