Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky BB - Can someone diagnose my slow line?

This is a discussion on Sky BB - Can someone diagnose my slow line? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having recently (1 month ago) moved into a brand new house on a new development plot i am a bit ...

CraiGDaniel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky BB - Can someone diagnose my slow line?

Having recently (1 month ago) moved into a brand new house on a new development plot i am a bit upset to find after sky activated our broadband the speed is pretty horrendous.

We are on a 'up to 20mb' plan. I understand that it is UP TO. However my line is about 2mb (off peak) which is simply not fast enough for me (i run a small business).

We have moved about a mile away from our previous house, in the same area (clacton-on-sea) and in the old house we got around 6mb.

I tested the connection of a friend on exactly the same sky bb package as me who lives about half a mile away, and he's getting an average of 10mb net!!!!

Now after many calls to sky they had set our line to 2mb as that was the most stable speed they could set it (after their initial line tests which took 10 days) i insisted they need to sort it out, so over the phone the lady said she has set my speed to 3mb. I thought great getting somewhere. Tested the connection for a few days and was getting exactly 3mb/300kbs (almost like it was capped at 3mb)

I then rang again and requested they send out an engineer to check our line as the rest of this town are averaging around 7mb. Mr. BT engineer came today, run a load of tests, checked some stuff and concluded 2mb is the max speed we can get no way to get more than that... hang on sky upped me to 3mb for a few days?!!? Since he has gone our bb speed is about 1.5mb now, so he halfed it just by running his tests. GRRRR!

Sky customer service are just robots and i cant be bothered with that at the moment.

Can anyone help me run some diagnostics on the line and see what i can improve? the router is a sagemcom F@ST2504n

Sorry for the wall of text all!!

2. Advertisement
      lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky BB - Can someone diagnose my slow line?

post your router stats

Exchange:
      Thanks

Filler>>><<<<

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Firstly, the one most crucial piece of information that would help is your router's stats. Could you post them please?

How to get your router statistics

Secondly, I agree that it is annoying that some of Sky's call centre personnel sound like robot, but they are told they must read from a specific script. This has had some criticism in the past.

What was Sky's estimate for your connection?

Unfortunately, as much as Sky would love to change your line, they are in the hands of BTO. Sadly many new cables being installed at the moment are not always 100% Copper. This is due to the high rate of theft of copper cables across the globe at present. This is affecting everyone.

Often BTO are using Copper coated aluminium cables and their performance is terrible.

When this is the case, then it wouldn't matter if you were on TalkTalk or AOL (two other LLU providers in your exchange) as they too would have the same problem.

I did look there to see if BE had their equipment on your local exchange, but sadly they don't. If they did, then you could have considered getting their broadband as they could have offered you a Bonded line. This would double your connection speeds (both up & down) by using two telephone lines to provide your connection. It would also allow you to use one specific telephone line for your business and the other for personal calls.

Finally, it is very important to understand that Sky Broadband is for domestic use only. Should you have a fault, you will not get any form of compensation for loss of business. Some broadband packages from other companies would offer you this.

Edit: Ok, you've posted your stats. There is room for improvement, I'll post details in next post.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could you ensure that you are using the Master Socket? If possible you may wish to consider installing a filtered faceplate, if you haven't already done so.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

It is also very important to use the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router. Some people like to use extensions. Whilst some specific ones are designed for a broadband connection, most reduce your potential connection speed.

As for your line, the Line Attenuation indicates that it is very long. It is possible that in addition to the copper coated aluminium cable, it has taken a longer router from your telephone exchange to your home.

You are currently on G.DMT (aka ADSL1), rather than on ADSL2+. I would suggest that for now this is better for your current Line Attenuation.

Once you have looked at your internal setup, see if the Noise Margins have increased further. This being the case, give Sky a friendly call and ask if someone can increase your connection speed. You already have a little room for some improvement.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you both. Understand your reasoning Scubbie however i just feel a bit hopeless that's all. My business doesn't rely on the internet however i often have to download/upload very large files and documents.

In regards to my estimated speed, here is a snippet from the SKY account on their web page.

Is it even possible to increase my speed if they have limited it to that 2mbs?

EDIT: Also, the BT engineer that came today moved the master socket from outside to inside and installed a filtered faceplate for us, he hoped this would help but has made things worse if anything.

The router is directly connected to the faceplate via a short adsl cable and there is nothing inbetween. It is the only thing connected to any phone sockets in this house.

Is my only option to ring sky and just beg them to uncap my line and let it run free or something?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Any issues with the voice side of things? Dial tone ok? Any noise when making calls?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Any issues with the voice side of things? Dial tone ok? Any noise when making calls?
      Dial tone is clear, havn't noticed anything out of the ordinary with calls

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

You're usually given a 'range' of speeds at the point of sale these days. That 'up to 7mbps' figure is likely the top end of the EALS (Estimated Access Line Speed). Do you remember what the MALS (Minimum Access Line Speed) was, or has this been quoted to you over the phone?

Ofcom | 2010 Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speeds

Exchange:
      Thanks

They said we shouldn't get lower than 4mb, it was on that same page i print screened but they recently removed that line.

I even have a letter stating if i don't recieve between 4-7.5 mbs i can cancel my contract with them within 3 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast