Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Infamous Orange Light Issue!

This is a discussion on Infamous Orange Light Issue! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Firstly, please excuse my lack of technical knowledge. Secondly, I am posting on behalf of someone else so as of ...

collybird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Infamous Orange Light Issue!

Firstly, please excuse my lack of technical knowledge. Secondly, I am posting on behalf of someone else so as of yet do not have any router stats available.

For three weeks now my boyfriend has been making call after call to Sky about his lack of internet and it appears as though there is no resolution in sight.

The router is showing the static orange light. Our laptops identify the connection, read as connected (and say the signal strength is Excellent) but no pages will load.

So far:
      - all troubleshooting tasks have been completed
      - Sky have done a line test and assured us that there is no problems
      - after the age old 'I'm changing provider if nothing is done about this' BTO visited yesterday, was unable to identify any problem and said everything (router, filters etc) is set up as it should be

It is a new build house and is less than 200m from the exchange (I am not sure if this is relevant but the BTO engineer said this should mean a good connection!).

Occasionally after rebooting the router (whether that be manually or online) it will connect for a very, very short space of time (i.e. will load the home page but nothing else after that).

The router itself is not the problem, it is only a few months old and we have also tried another (new) one but this does not make any difference.

I'm sorry this sounds vague but I wondered if anyone had any idea what the problem may be? If I have some idea what I'm talking about I may be able to get more joy on the phone to Sky.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Infamous Orange Light Issue!

Does the house have a Test socket?
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      If so post the stats from there
      How to get your router statistics

If you do not have a test socket, unplug everything you have connected to the phone line, including Sky boxes, plug into the Master socket, the first one on the line into the house, and post the stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apologies for the delay in replying, it is proving difficult for me to get online just now.

These stats are from the test socket. Routers (I have tested two) still does not work from there, am I right in understanding this means the problem is not internal?

System Up Time: 00:02:23
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1246 369 0 1856 403 00:01:23
      LAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      WLAN 2480 3159 0 13948 6843 00:01:13
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7808 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.5db 21.5db
      Noise Margin -1.-2db 22.0db

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Looks like you're on Sky Connect, not Unlimited

And that minus SNR isn't going to be doing your connection any favours
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

mjstokes85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMILKES
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 30mb
      Router: BT HH5
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I had this solid orange light issue, amongst other issues, and it turned out to be an exchange fault.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjstokes85 View Post
      I had this solid orange light issue, amongst other issues, and it turned out to be an exchange fault.
      I have been following your thread for a while and it simultaneously gives me hope (that I have some kind of idea what the problem actually is) and horrifies me (over the length of time it is going to take to get it fixed!).

We have cancelled Sky as have had enough of them fobbing us off. I appreciate that if it is an exchange problem they are not the ones at fault but they just have us running around in circles. (And not once have they suggested checking the test socket, nor did the BTO engineer!).

New provider activation date is Thursday, they are aware I suspect an exchange fault so as soon as it becomes apparent we still cannot connect I shall be straight on the phone to them.

Thanks

You position is a bit different from mjstokes. He is on Connect which is basically a BT service. If you are on Unlimited, Sky have full access to all your settings and can instruct changes at the exchange which cannot be done on Connect.

If you are moving to a new ISP you will not be using the same exchange equipment, so if Sky's equipment was faulty, there is no chance that it will effect you. The line to the exchange and your home setup, apart from the router, will be exactly the same.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that info isitme.

IWasNotTheEnemy mentioned it looked like we on Connect and not Unlimited as I thought (as I am dealing with this for my MIL I have no idea what package she is on and just took a stab in the dark).

Again, excuse my ignorance, but Is it possible that the fault is on the line to the exchange?

Thanks again to everyone who has given input so far.

Thanks

Sorry, for the misinformation, you are indeed on Connect, for which you have my sympathy. If you move to another ISP there is still a good chance that you exchange connection will be moved, although, unless you are going to Infinity, it will still be on the same equipment.

There is every chance that there is a fault on the line, but it could be the card in the exchange or even your router, although the chance of more than one router being faulty is slim. You could have tried your own working router to rule out a problem with it, but as you are leaving shortly, it is hardly worth the bother.

Good luck with the new Provider.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

New provider activated on Thursday and (much to my surprise) everything is working as it should.

It seems I will never know what was causing the issues with Sky but their reluctant to help has cost them dearly!

Thanks again for your input Isitme!