Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Evening Lag Spikes

This is a discussion on Evening Lag Spikes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there all, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue I've been having. Our ...

Joust is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Evening Lag Spikes

Hi there all, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with an issue I've been having.

Our house's broadband had been faultless since we first joined BT a few years ago. Over the last year or we switched to sky unlimited and things were running fine. However over the last month we've been suffering from lag spikes in the evening at random for brief periods. Around a week ago I managed to get a speed test done during one which gave me results along the lines of a ping of 5,000 and a download speed of around 0.05 megs.

As I said these spikes last for short intervals (around 1 or 2 minutes) then the service resumes as normal. This however is incredibly disruptive for gaming and watching streaming content such as BBC live which are the main reasons I use the service. Next time a spike occurs I'll try and get another speed check and my router stats, however at the moment my stats are:

System Up Time: 461:43:25
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 41269869 65370340 0 1292 1292 461:42:19
      LAN 56378324 34584058 0 1291 1291 461:43:25
      WLAN 6292021 3821711 0 1340501 429861 00:26:42
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10239 kbps 672 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.5db 22.9db
      Noise Margin 7.8db 9.0db

I'd be very appreciative if anybody had an idea of what's wrong with my connection, if not a solution for it.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Evening Lag Spikes

Your upload sync is a bit low. This could indicate a problem with your filter or your line. Changing the Sky filter for a better quality one might help.

There are also some exchanges being effected by poor out put to the internet backbone. When you are having one of the slowdowns, run a tracert to bbc.co.uk in a Command Prompt. That may show where the holdup is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lights? Interference! A Killer of a time for that sort of stuff.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You forgot, kids out of school, lines getting hammered, wireless networks jam packed allday

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.