Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed below what it should be?

This is a discussion on Speed below what it should be? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My router speed is extremly slow, I am paying for speeds better, what do you think? here's my stats: Modem ...

corky91 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed below what it should be?

My router speed is extremly slow, I am paying for speeds better, what do you think? here's my stats:

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 2787 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 746 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Speed below what it should be?

Unfortunately your line is quite long. This is indicated by the high Line Attenuation figure (55dB).

Technically Sky's Broadband Unlimited product is an 'up to 20Mb' connection. The average connection speed is around 7.8Mb according to recent surveys. This means that whilst some will be much faster, sadly others will be slower.

You do have a little room for improvement, but before calling Sky, could I ask that you pay particular attention to you home set up first please?

Simple things such as connecting to the master socket, using a filtered faceplate, using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router and no extensions, really do help.

Please take a look at the link below and see if any of the suggestions can help to improve your connection.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

If you been able to make any changes, repost your stats to show if there is any difference. We are particularly looking at the Noise Margins, however it is possible to reduce the Line Attenuation if you have been using an extension.

From there we can suggest whether it is possible to retain the ADSL2+ connection you have or whether you would be better on an ADSL1 connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Unfortunately your line is quite long. This is indicated by the high Line Attenuation figure (55dB).

Technically Sky's Broadband Unlimited product is an 'up to 20Mb' connection. The average connection speed is around 7.8Mb according to recent surveys. This means that whilst some will be much faster, sadly others will be slower.

You do have a little room for improvement, but before calling Sky, could I ask that you pay particular attention to you home set up first please?

Simple things such as connecting to the master socket, using a filtered faceplate, using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the Sky router and no extensions, really do help.

Please take a look at the link below and see if any of the suggestions can help to improve your connection.

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

If you been able to make any changes, repost your stats to show if there is any difference. We are particularly looking at the Noise Margins, however it is possible to reduce the Line Attenuation if you have been using an extension.

From there we can suggest whether it is possible to retain the ADSL2+ connection you have or whether you would be better on an ADSL1 connection.
      Thanks for the reply. I have used the default grey adsl wire for connecting to the filter. I have 1 filter in the main socket which has my roter wire and phone wire. I don't know if that makes a difference. Tomorrow or later I will try and take the face plate of the phone socket and try it in the test socket to see if that makes a difference. Is there any way to find the speed going to the phone line to see if its dropping when travelling through my router and/or wires?

Thanks

Before getting a filtered faceplate, it would be a very good idea to see if you have an NTE5 master socket. Not everyone does.

NTE5 Master Socket - With Openreach&#8482 Logo

Next remove the faceplate and plug the microfilter into the Test Socket behind the faceplate. Take a look at the router's stats and post them up so we can see if there is any differences.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

As for getting a filtered faceplate, the cheapest source would be to look on-line. They are available from various sources and having has a quick look around run-IT-direct are still competitive for their prices. They do contribute to this forum and deliveries normally arrive the next day if placed before 4pm:

BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is there any way to find the speed going to the phone line to see if its dropping when travelling through my router and/or wires?
      Only by doing as Scubbie suggests and plugging into the Test socket. That will show the full potential of your line.

You should also check if your voice line is noisy, by plugging a corded phone into the Test or master socket and dial 1 digit. The line should be quiet, with nothing more than a quiet hiss.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

that's my router running in the testing socket. gone up .5

Thanks

I'm concerned a little there. The Noise Margin has dropped to 5dB. Sky's target is 7dB.

Hopefully Tom will agree with me, but I suspect that you would be better off with the following changes:

• purchase and install a filtered faceplate (if you have any extensions wired to the back of the existing faceplate, then get an IDC tool as well)
      • call Sky and ask the person to change your line to "G.DMT" (aka ADSL1) as you are in the zone where ADSL1 can actually provide a faster connection speed than ADSL2+

You may need to speak to a few people at Sky and make two or three calls in order to get someone who understands this request and can perform the changes. This is because not everyone has the necessary access to the systems.

The IDC tool is required to correctly fit the extension to the connections on the back of the faceplate. This is a relatively easy task with the correct tool. There are two options available. The cheapest is around 50p for the disposable tool. The other costs a few pounds more but will last longer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I agree with Scubbie that you should ask for a move to G.dmt, but it looks like the problem is on your external line. You would sync initially at 7 db, but within a matter of seconds your noise has dropped to to 5 db. If you rebooted your speed would probably drop again. Did you check for noise on your voice line?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.