Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed really slow.....

This is a discussion on Speed really slow..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; been having problems like this for ages, getting really slow speeds, no higher than 9,78, even though it says in ...

jakewc2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Covent Garden
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Speed really slow.....

been having problems like this for ages, getting really slow speeds, no higher than 9,78, even though it says in my router page that I am supposed to be getting 19 and above megs.......contacted support they tell that the speed tests are useless and dont give any correct information, o wont take what I say on board, as far as they are concerned, I am getting 19 and above megs speeds.......is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Thanks

jakewc2

2. Advertisement
      jakewc2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Covent Garden
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: Speed really slow.....

ok, jut noticed your speed test shows me at 15mbs, which is higher than any of the other speed tests I have used......I am still slow for what I should get....they tell me I can get 22mbs and I'm set at 21mbs, the upload speeds are a lot slower showing on your soeed test, on others I am getting over 80mbs upload speeds......

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If your router is showing that you have around 19,000 kbps on the downstream connection, then that result looks just fine.

Speed tests vary a huge amount, depending on when you take them and how you are connected to the router. WiFi will always come out badly compared to a wired connection.

Always ensure that nothing else is running at the same time and run two or three tests to each server.

As for you router's stats, it might help us to see them all:

How to get your router statistics

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The speed you see on the router is the sync speed, not the download speed, some at Sky do not realise this and feed you bull. The actual download speed will be 10-15% lower than the sync speed, due to line overheads. This can also be substatially reduced if you are using wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.