Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Internet drops form mobile phone.

This is a discussion on Internet drops form mobile phone. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 It's a Samsung Galaxy S2. Not an identical model, but I may search around to see ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Internet drops form mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 View Post
      It's a Samsung Galaxy S2.
      Not an identical model, but I may search around to see if the WiFi is the same if I can't get it fixed. His is the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-S5830.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger56 View Post
      If I understand you correctly what I need to do is check out the local situation with respect to who's using what channels (using the software you've suggested) and find the one that is being used the least?

Are all the channels better than others or do they all perform equally well and it's just a case of using one that isn't being used by too many people?
      Ideally you should be able to see from inSSIDer very quickly which other routers are near you and quickly determine the cleanest channel for where you are.

For reference, the ideal channels in the UK are as follows:

1, 6 & 11 : These channels do not overlap with each other. Channel 3, for example, would overlap with signals from channels 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 & 7.

Channel 13: A useful alternative if all the other channels are busy. Half of its signal overlaps channels 11 & 12, but the remaining bandwidth is free from interference by the other channels. Some devices may not work on channel 13 though.

The other channels can be used, but interference would be likely. The BT HomeHub has a habit of using channels 7 & 11.

You could go through all the available WiFi channels until you find one which works, but this can be hit or miss and cause more problems.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Schrodinger56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Update 2.

Channel 6 proved to be problematic w.r.t. streaming videos etc on the other machines, great for the phone but not exactly a practical all round channel.

I then tried Channel 1 and this turned out to work fine, fast downloads on the phone and no problems with the other computers.

I downloaded inSSIDer on my laptop as advised and found one other Channel 1 whose SSID was virginmedia xxxxxx. Not too sure what the numbers mean but under my SSID the RSSI = Amplitude -45dB and the virginmedia SSID above was Amplitude-77dB.

I think the virginmedia connection belongs to my next door neighbour.

It appears that all is now working well so a many thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to help me.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The VM signal is too weak for you to be able to connect to from that location, but has a presence on the channel.

The fact that you can use channel 1 on you own router is absolutely fine.

-45dB is fine as far as your own connection stands. It is possible to see a stronger signal with different adaptors, but this can be more of a reflection of the adaptor than the connection. Obviously if you move things around it would improve, but the connection works.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12