Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

new sky bb set up

This is a discussion on new sky bb set up within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; open reach came out, confirmed no problems my side of things, he said he could hear the noise and would ...

lee2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: billion 7800n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: new sky bb set up

open reach came out, confirmed no problems my side of things, he said he could hear the noise and would go to exchange to fix it,

he then rang me a bit later and said skys equipment was faulty and he could not clear the line of thre fault and he would need to send a report to them, i think he said the faulty quipment was a llud or something, and that sky would call me or i should call them.

i rand sky who said my line needs to be "shifted" and will be done within a few days, does this help any of you out as to whats going on and what this means?? and would this be affecting my broadband as you can here a terrible noise on the line,

only thing that chnage todays is my attenuation has went up by.5db, noise margin still the same and keeps changing its 6.1 now

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Essentially it means that the physical port where your telephone line is connected to Sky's LLU equipment has a problem and BTO require permission to move you to a working port.

It isn't unheard of for something like this to happen with anyone's equipment in the exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Is the noise a high pitched type noise?

Exchange:
      Thanks

kind of and it kinda changes its pitch its like the noise that would come through the speakers of older cars like the whine off the enigine if there was a fault with the wiring

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Is this noise still present when the router is unplugged? It sounds very like router 'overspill' which could indicate dodgy filters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yes the noise is always there even with phone just plugged into the master, like i say the open reach guy said it was a fault with skys eqiupment, will post back as soon as i here anything or when the "shift" has taken place

Exchange:
      Thanks

also still waiting for the filter i ordered to arrive from the guy who posts on hereso that may also help with the noise margin on the router, or like i suspect the noise on the phone is causing problems with the bb

Exchange:
      Thanks

update

the filtered face plate made no difference to the noise margin.

regarding the noise margin that keeps droping, as you know i have major noise on my actual phone line and you can here it on the phone line, due to be lift n shifted on tuesday.

sky rang me today to confirm this, later on my telephone went completly dead, i rang sky who appologised and told me i should of been infromed in the earlier call that my phone was also going to be disconeted tonight in preparation for the lift and shift.

i asked why my broadband had not gone off, he told me phone was in one piece of equipment and bb in another, i thought to my self great the bb lines on seperate equipment, so the noise pn the phone is not affecting the line margin on the bb, i told the guy my thoughts that fixing my noisey telephone line anint gona cure my low noise margin on the bb and that means once the phone is fixed im then gona have to report the noisey bb line, he said the 2 noise problems could still be caused by the noisey phone line, so wait till tuesday.

so theres i high chance that im still going to hve a low noise margin even after the telehone has been lifted and shifted

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No, noise on the line is noise on the line and noise on the voice line will cause problems on the broadband side. I am not sure why they put your phone off tonight, I would have thought it would only go off for a few minutes when the line was being shifted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

yes strange why disconect me before tuesday, what if i did not have a mobile, good joob i have a contract mobile, what if i had need the emergeny services etc??

any way at the minute the phone line is completely off, but my noise margin is stil 6.6

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast