Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

IP addy / where i live

This is a discussion on IP addy / where i live within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First time on here. Haven't checked all threads to see if this is new so feel free to play hell ...

dave darren is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

IP addy / where i live

First time on here. Haven't checked all threads to see if this is new so feel free to play hell if I've started a thread for nothing.
      Anyway, when I do an IP check on myself, it shows my HOMETOWN in the info. Also, when using the internet I get adverts all over webpages showing me my HOMETOWN. i,e... buy cheap pizza's at (insert my hometown) etc.
      This sort of bothers me. When I was on BT Broadband some years ago this never happened. My hometown was never shown / advertised. My IP would register as somewhere many many miles away.
      I have also noticed that Google automatically logs my location too.
      Is this a new thing, showing your hometown? Is this simply because the technology is there now to be able to do this?
      Is it just Sky that does this or some sort of Sky / BT arrangement?
      Can YOU see my hometown?
      Can I stop my hometown from showing, via the router maybe, apart from using a proxy?
      And no, I'm not up to any sort of jiggery-pokery on the web. I just don't like being advertised all over the world. If that is indeed the case.
      I use ZoneAlarm (old version), Comodo, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes-antimalware and one or two other little programs to keep my insides clean.
      Any info would be most appreciated.
      Thank you.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: IP addy / where i live

I can't see anything other than what you put in your profile above the posts on here

I've always had my IP linked to location, with BT, Sky and o2 all doing it. Never bothered me. Just means you can get targeted advertising as an IP range will be assigned to an exchange
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If Who is is showing your actual location, you are probably not on the SVBN, unless you are situated next to one of the Sky server centres. It and all the other similar programs show me as being in Manchester/North Shields/Halifax/etc. Google has my correct location, which I am quite happy with, it means I don't get a lot of useless returns from the USA if I do a search.

If you are worried about it use Private Browsing in Firefox or its equivalent in IE. No private individual can see your details without a lot of hacking. It is like that rather stupid app from Danasoft which puports to know who and where you are. It doesn't, the information it gives if viewable only by you, but it does worry newcomers to the internet who believe it is true.
      Last edited by Isitme; 09-12-11 at 11:02 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dave darren is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Many thanks for the replies.
      That SVBN thing is interesting. Might look into that.

I'm just a paranoid old git.

Cheers.