Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Errors on line

This is a discussion on Errors on line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been in touch with Sky regarding the lowering of my broadband speed and they have informed me that ...

BroadbandKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1Tb
      Thanks

Errors on line

I have been in touch with Sky regarding the lowering of my broadband speed and they have informed me that there are a lot of errors on my line.

I am currently connected to the test socket and have the following stats:

Sky Sagem 2304n.
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11930 kbps 853 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 dB 19.0 dB
      Noise Margin 6.9 dB 11.5 dB

Sky inform me that after doing some tests, my line is capable of 13.9 meg down and 1.12 meg up. However I am not getting these figures as can be seen from my stats. There is a fair bit of movement on the noise margin for my upload speed to improve.

I have changed the filter at the test socket and get the same results. In fact I get the same results from my normal way I connect into an ADSL filtered faceplate but to eliminate any errors in my household I have connected to the test socket.

Now if Sky report that my line has too many errors, I take it that Sky will get an engineer to take a look at my line at the exchange to the cabinet to the master socket at no expense to me?

I moved over to Sky broadband Unlimited in July and Sky Talk in November.
      However I have remained on the Easynet LLU equipment at my exchange, currently awaiting a move to SVBN when spare capacity becomes available.

Sky did put the DLM on my line for a 10 day training period on Sat but nothing was happening. I have asked them to manually configure my line which they did this afternoon, removing DLM at the same time.

So if these errors occur and I am connected up at the test socket in the master socket, I assume that Sky will ensure that an engineer is called out to check what could have possibly gone wrong on my line?

Many thanks for any help.....

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Errors on line

Are you getting any noise on you telephone line if you perform a quiet line test?

To do this, you will need to plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise on the line. There may be a minimal amount of hiss, but certainly no crackling.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Are you getting any noise on you telephone line if you perform a quiet line test?

To do this, you will need to plug a corded telephone into the test socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise on the line. There may be a minimal amount of hiss, but certainly no crackling.
      Nothing on the line at all.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Is there anyway using a sagem 2304n router that the number of errors could be viewed? In telnet perhaps?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Depends on what kind of errors, the uptime that these were accumulated within and whether they're actually causing an issue for your connection. In fairness, for a 35dB attenuation, just under 12mbps is about right in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadbandKing View Post
      Sky inform me that after doing some tests, my line is capable of 13.9 meg down and 1.12 meg up. However I am not getting these figures as can be seen from my stats. There is a fair bit of movement on the noise margin for my upload speed to improve.
      They're just quoting your max attainable rates for the conditions, it's not an indicator of what the line should handle. You're unlikely to see the max attainable rate ever as Sky function on a 7dB SNR, so they're not important.

If I'm being honest, I can't see Sky booking any engineer for this unless it's affecting stability or your speed was a few mbps lower than what it is.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes i know the max speeds are not attainable but I know that the sagem can do better:

I've rebooted the router and am getting:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12467 kbps 853 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 dB 19.1 dB
      Noise Margin 7.1 dB 11.5 dB

which is a lot better for my download speed and more like what I was getting.

However my upload speed can improve as can be seen by the high noise margin. And with the upload part of the spectrum not really subject to errors, it should be configured to the best it can be by sky lowering the noise margin.

And if the DLM kicked in due to a lot of errors on the line over a short period and it is not down to my own internal wiring then as a sky customer and paying them a lot each month, I would expect them to sort it out for me!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

However my upload speed can improve as can be seen by the high noise margin. And with the upload part of the spectrum not really subject to errors, it should be configured to the best it can be by sky lowering the noise margin.
      Ask Sky to uncap the upstream if they haven't already in that case. The downstream is already uncapped as seen from the reboot.

And if the DLM kicked in due to a lot of errors on the line over a short period and it is not down to my own internal wiring then as a sky customer and paying them a lot each month, I would expect them to sort it out for me!
      Who told you that DLM kicked in due to error snapshots? It's down to retrains as well, so if you're changing up target SNRs with another router and/or rebooting the router often to squeeze any more out of your sync speed, then it may have kicked in from that.

Unless you're getting lower than what Sky quoted you'd get, speed-wise, or the line is unstable, then an engineer is unlikely to be booked. Some errors are to be expected, it doesn't really warrant an engineer visit unless it's service affecting.