Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Openreach line swaps

This is a discussion on Openreach line swaps within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, Does anyone have a link to any documentation regarding whether an Openreach engineer can/can't swap a connected twisted ...

deskmonkey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bishop Auckland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Openreach line swaps

Hi folks,

Does anyone have a link to any documentation regarding whether an Openreach engineer can/can't swap a connected twisted pair without the knowledge of either the user or provider?

Reason I'm asking is that I am 99% sure my line has been swapped and given to someone else in the village. My stats are now replicating what I was receiving when on the other cable that came into the village. My router stats also give me the time of the drop out and re-sync - coincidentaly the time an engineer was at the cab!

Before then I had no issues with my line for either ADSL or voice.

Any info would be appreciated before they arrive on Wednesday.

Btw I also know the address that had a HomeHub installed on the same morning, the owner of which mentioned that the engineer at first couldn't get it to connect (sync). Far too much of a coincidence I think.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Openreach line swaps

Legally, it can't happen. If a service is already on a line it can't be removed to provide service to someone else. Severely underhand tactics if it is the case
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I thought so, is there a way apart from my evidence and hearsay to prove it though? My line was swapped on 21st November. Will they have documentation prior to this to show what line I was on before hand?

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It is more likely that either of the following has happened:

• someone has knocked your connection
      • some essential maintenance has been carried out

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, but the situation and stats don't support this.

Prior to 9:15 am on the 21st I was on 1.44mb, my speed was fairly constant and always between 1.33 and 1.48.

There are two cables that come into the village, I was originally on the newer one which only provided speeds of between 0.1 and 0.2 (128k and 288k). I managed to change over to the older cable into the village following an SFI healthcheck, which as being thicker copper helped lessen the loss we experienced - this was in March this year.

Since then I have had no loss of service, no drop outs, noise - nowt. When I was on that other cable I had a speed of 288k - which surprise, surprise is the speed I am now receiving, no matter whether I resync or not.

I know the cable architecture coming into the village - I have been placed on the other cable, its not just an issue of a dodgy twisted pair.

The household at the other end of the village that had a homehub installed (the same time my speeds dropped) are now in receipt of a speed of 0.9mb (I've seen their stats) - which taking into account the further distance etc from the cab makes it obvious the line has been swapped - and it doesn't take a genious to work out whose line it was!

Not happy....

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Without solid proof you have no evidence other than your theory that you have been changed. Sky would have to query it with BT to see if what you think has happened has, well, happened

If you have an SFI coming out then they might be able to shed some light onto the situation but otherwise you'd need to go through the proper channels
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Have seen this happen on a voice fault (noise on the line) before. Customer and his neighbour kept reporting the fault one after the other and Openreach would switch pairs, leaving one neighbour on the dodgy pair and then obviously calling their provider to report the fault.

Apart from the obvious drop in sync speed and such, are you facing any voice issues now?

Thanks

Thanks, Sky are waiting to see what the engineer comes up with on Wednesday before they move it on upwards. We both have a shed load of notes on it following the SFI earlier this year. I'm hoping that there will be records of which cable I was on because of that SFI, if it doesn't correspond to what I have now now then I've got them and they can flippin' well change it back.

There are big rumours flying around the village that an engineer has been doing this for a while as they obviously don't want the confrontation of facing a customer and saying "sorry, but you can't get broadband"

We have a huge campaign going on at the moment, which includes 82% of the residents (362 of them), the MP, Councillors and the LA. I'm on the committee, during this we had to hand over 106 letters of complaint regarding the quality of our phone lines to senior managers of BT and the MP. Over twenty of those letters actually described the situation I now find myself in - I admit too, I didn't believe them when I read them at first. Unfortunately I do now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Have seen this happen on a voice fault (noise on the line) before. Customer and his neighbour kept reporting the fault one after the other and Openreach would switch pairs, leaving one neighbour on the dodgy pair and then obviously calling their provider to report the fault.

Apart from the obvious drop in sync speed and such, are you facing any voice issues now?
      Nope, no voice issues at all. Only problem I have is the sync speed, which makes it obvious to me as I'd expect voice problems to appear if it was actually a line error causing the speed drop.

My blood is starting to boil now, going to have to make sure I remain calm and collected when they arrive on Wed. See what they say before I let rip.