Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Are there any benefits to being on SVBN

This is a discussion on Are there any benefits to being on SVBN within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have had a letter from Sky saying that I am being moved to SVBN on 9.12.11 I called ...

Just0371 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Are there any benefits to being on SVBN

Hi I have had a letter from Sky saying that I am being moved to SVBN on 9.12.11

I called Sky and asked them what the advantages were and the person I spoke to said I could expect better sync speeds the speed she quoted was between 12-14mb . Surely she is mistaken as at present my line attenuation is 41.5 db and I sync anywhere between 8.1 - 8.5mb depending on what time of day I sync the router with a noise margin of around 7.5 db dropping off a bit at night. So where she gets the 12mb figure from I don't know maybe Sky are going to build an exchange soley for me closer to my home . Any one have any ideas on how she has arrived at this figure, even though I told her that it was unlikely due to my present attenuation ,she did seem rather persistent and said she had checked on a couple of systems to arrive at that figure.

A few months ago after my synch speeds dropped . I got my line configured by tier 2 on to the up to 20mb profile even though it will never synch anywhere near that this was done so I could get the best upload speeds, my upload is generally anywhere from 1050 kbps - 1065 kbps . He also turned of dlm permanently as it was interfering on my line due to high crc errors (which did not seem to effect browsing or uptime )

I now have my line configured as I want it and that was a really battle with tier one's telling me the best I could get was 4mb .I really don't want to go through this again .

So what I would like to know is am I better to just opt out of SVBN as I have struggled to read of any positive experiences from people who have been moved with many saying that there attenuation and synch has worsened ,

Also am I right in thinking that DLM will be run again .As to be honest I was really glad to get that interfering crap removed from monitoring my line

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Are there any benefits to being on SVBN

IMHO the benefit is mainly on Sky's end as it means that you are entirely on their equipment. Of course this means that they have to pay BT Wholesale less money too.

If you are already subscribed to Sky Talk & Sky BB Unlimited, then your package will remain the same, so will your costs.

DLM may well start over again, but due to seeing some people have issues, I would recommend that you take a screen dump of your current stats. Some have experienced a drop in connection speed, whilst for others it has gone up a little.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Just0371 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Are there any benefits to being on SVBN

Hi thanks for your reply I rang them and opted out .