Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dial up speeds

This is a discussion on Dial up speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I usually get 14Mbps with Sky, and my current sync speed (after several resets of the router) is showing just ...

LooieENG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dial up speeds

I usually get 14Mbps with Sky, and my current sync speed (after several resets of the router) is showing just under 14Mbps, yet my browsing speeds are ~8-12KB/s (http/ftp/nntp) and I have a 441ms ping (every time I tried I get this number!)

Speedtest shows 441ms, 0.14mbps down, 0.04mbps up

I'm having to use my mobile broadband in the mean time as it actually makes browsing possible.

System Up Time: 0:17:11
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13686 kbps 1102 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 13.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 8.3 db

a little while ago (weeks) I had an issue with my connection dropping constantly which Isitme kindly helped me fix by advising me to change the channel on my router. since then I've had no disconnections, no drops in speed until earlier today all of a sudden it's just extremely slow as if I've been capped, but the stats would show that right?

I thought Sky don't even cap unlimited users, but even if they do I've probably used 200-250GB max this month which is nothing really

Like I mentioned before I've tried restarting the router, and also checked the master socket - same issue. Is it anything to do with that thread that's been stickied? my firmware is 2.8 and network type is MER incase they've been changed recently. Oh, and I changed channels back to auto too to try that

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Dial up speeds

If you've only tried wireless then give it a go via Ethernet - chances are it's a wireless issue
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

rubikwizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01535
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I notice your exchange is Keighley. I live in Haworth (couple of miles away) and since 6pm tonight I have been getting download speeds of 100kb/s when I usually get 15000kb/s. I have rebooted my router several times and it always re-synchs at 17049 but actual download speeds are about 100kb/s.

I have called Sky and they have said there are no issues and it must be my equipment (I have tried wired PC, wireless laptop, phone and Kindle and all are the same.)

They have escalated it to level 2. Maybe you should call them also so we can get something done about it.
      Last edited by rubikwizard; 27-11-11 at 12:52 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      If you've only tried wireless then give it a go via Ethernet - chances are it's a wireless issue
      Hi mate,

I've tried that as well (and a different laptop and my phone)

Quote Originally Posted by rubikwizard View Post
      I notice your exchange is Keighley. I live in Haworth (couple of miles away) and since 6pm tonight I have been getting download speeds of 100kb/s when I usually get 15000kb/s. I have rebooted my router several times and it always re-synchs at 17049 but actual download speeds are about 100kb/s.

I have called Sky and they have said there are no issues and it must be my equipment (I have tried wired PC, wireless laptop, phone and Kindle and all are the same.)

They have escalated it to level 2. Maybe you should call them also so we can get something done about it.
      Hi,

I'll give them a ring then. I checked the status page and there was nothing on there, but I don't think I've ever seen that updated!

Are you on the Keighley exchange as well, or is there one in Haworth? I wouldn't be suprised if people from my area have been going around stealing cables again
      Last edited by LooieENG; 27-11-11 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

I think it is a separate exchange in Haworth. Still got same problem this morning, not heard anything more from Sky. They said it might take 72 hours to get back to me.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are both in the same area I would guess that it is a back haul problem. There is not much you can do except keep calling Sky and make them aware of the problem. It is unlikely the front desk at Sky would be aware of the problem. The CST would be needed to track down the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I called Sky up earlier, and the guy on the phone just suggested resetting the router, and clearing the cache/cookies on my computer (and my 2 laptops and phone), or changing the micro filters (which he would send me one if I needed it - another 2-3 days with dial up speeds - yay )

after resetting the router, he ran a speedtest on it and said it was downloading at 14Mbps

I advised him I'd already checked the sync speed on the router and it was fine, but still the web browsing speeds were ~8KB/s max, to which he answered, "but those speed tests are not official Sky speed tests...the one I ran is the proper Sky one and it's showing download speeds of 14Mbps on the router"

I told him that this is via HTTP/FTP as well, and it's very unlikely that every server in the world that I tried is currently running that slow.

In the end, he just suggested the micro filter thing (I have a few spare ones) and he would call me back on my mobile (he was a nice guy on the phone and did sound like he knew what he was talking about, but I guess they need to follow all of the troubleshooting steps before they can escalate it to T2?), but I had a train to catch so I said I would try it and call back.

I'll have to try tomorrow and get back to them.

I don't know much about DSL broadband, but is it possible there is some sort of cap/fault in the area, and if the upstream was very slow for some reason, the router would still sync at the right speeds and that would show to Sky? Should I just call back and say "yes" to everything he asks whether I've tried or not?

Also, I called 150 and it was Sky so I guess I'm on SVBN too

Thanks

I have been testing all night and in the last half hour I have had aprox 5000 kp/s then 2000 then 14000 then 15000 then back to 100 and then 5000 ... so looks like they are trying to fix it. Over on the official Sky forum there are other people in Keighley with exactly the same problem.

Fingers crossed will be fixed soon.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rubikwizard View Post
      I have been testing all night and in the last half hour I have had aprox 5000 kp/s then 2000 then 14000 then 15000 then back to 100 and then 5000 ... so looks like they are trying to fix it. Over on the official Sky forum there are other people in Keighley with exactly the same problem.

Fingers crossed will be fixed soon.
      Just saw a post over there say it was working okay since 11.30 (was that you?) and ran a speedtest

hopefully it stays like this

Thanks

Prob was me, and I have been getting much more consistent high speeds in the last hour or so, so fingers crossed!