Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Wireless connection to laptop????

This is a discussion on Wireless connection to laptop???? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i am looking for some advice i have just got sky bb up and running yesterday my desktop and ...

scottish_nobby is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Wireless connection to laptop????

Hi i am looking for some advice i have just got sky bb up and running yesterday my desktop and my Ps3 will connect to the router wirlessly (bad speller) but my wife has an laptop a fyjitsu siemans amilo thsat will not connect wirlessly at all it works wired but when i go to the network manager and telll it to search it usually comes up with unkown network or sometimes it will come up with sky i put the password in and it tells me its wrong i have tried to update the wirless cards driver but it tellsme its up to date any ideas??

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Wireless connection to laptop????

I have a few of suggestions for you initially:

Check that you have all the latest Windows updates
      Search the manufacturer's website and see if there are any updates for the WiFi Adaptor
      Manually set the WiFi channel to 1, 6 or 11
      Set the WiFi to WiFi b/g only
      Turn off the WiFi security on the router (remember to turn this back on afterwards, if this cures the issue, redo the password in lowercase letters)
      Set the WiFi to WEP (Caution: WEP can now be cracked by 10 year olds, so don't leave it like this)

Try each one at a time to see if things improve.

The next suggestion I have is a little bit harder, but worth considering.

If you change the WiFi adaptor to a newer one, such as one that supports 300Mb/s, then not only would it support the router's 144Mb/s connection, but it should resolve the other issues too. As to which adaptor you should use, it depends on which you have inside the Laptop as there are different ones available.

Should you go down this router, you are welcome to post a photo of the existing adaptor first.

New WiFi adaptors for Laptops cost between 5 and 50.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

Re: Wireless connection to laptop????

when i go to the network manager
      Are you using the adapter manager or the Windows one? Use the Windows Manager, some of the utilities supplied by manufacturers are very flakey. If you are using a 3rd party manager, right click the icon in the Tray and you should be able to select Use Windows wireless Manager. If it is not there you will have to do it through the Control Panel.

I would also suggest looking for the manufacturers driver, Windows will nearly always tell you the driver is up to date, when it is not.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.