Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you have to cancel your current ISP before you can get Sky Broadband?

This is a discussion on Do you have to cancel your current ISP before you can get Sky Broadband? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Do you have to cancel your current connection with your ISP before you can get Sky Broadband? I've ordered Sky ...

ts0pwo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Milton Keynes Exchange
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do you have to cancel your current ISP before you can get Sky Broadband?

Do you have to cancel your current connection with your ISP before you can get Sky Broadband? I've ordered Sky BB on 28th Sept but still haven't received the router and the letter about activation date. I called Sky today and they told me I have to cancel my current ISP before they can do anything because my current ISP is already LLU. It'll take about 10 working days after my current connection is cancelled before they can activate my line with Sky.

As this is not the same story that I heard when I placed the order (I was asked to provide a MAC key, which I successfully obtained from my current ISP). I don't know who to believe. Does anybody know more about this? Any comment is appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site ts0pwo

Yes sorry SkyBB always ask for a MAC but its of no use to them as they will not migrate LLU to LLU so yes you do need to do a cease with your currant ISP before SkyBB will activate you.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lightbulb

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply. In that case, I guess I'll have to face two weeks of no broadband. The CS Rep should have told me about that when I made the order. I think I did tell him who was my current ISP (Force9 - a PlusNet company). He should have made a check and told me the fact about cease and reprovision.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes there does seem to be a lot of confusion in the SkyBB sales department when people call to order and I am not sure they actually understand the difference between providers.

I have the impression that they follow a set procedure when taking orders and they just don't like to deviate from it.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

steves is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sale
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cancelling your ISP

Is the only benefit in cancelling you old ISP is keeping your email address?
      I've kept my old ISP (NTL) until I'm sure sky is up and running OK due to previous bad experiences.
      I've suffered from regular connection dropouts but once I turned my NTL router off the Sky one appears to be behaving OK with 4365kb downstream and 396kb upstream connection speeds.
      If it carrys on like this for a week THEN I'll cancel my NTL and save 20/month.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The CS rep said there is a marker on my line and I am on a LLU connection. The only way for them to clear the marker is to cease my current connection for 10 working days. My fear is that after 10 days Sky is still not able to activate my line (that seems to happen to someone in this forum). That could leave me without brandband for a lengthy period.

My current connection is only an 1M line and I could successfully obtain a MAC key within a few hours. I am not completely sure I am on a LLU connection. Does anybody know how to find that out?

Thank you.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      If your on a 1MB connection I doubt you are LLU but with Plusnet anything is possible I guess, easy way to find out what package you are on is login the portal and look at your account details it will tell you.

You can also call this No 0800 1690934 option 2
      Ray

click here

Bob75 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi, did the Sky BB CS operator note your BAND number? These are supposed to expire after 21 days. Like you I am working through one month notice with my current ISP and will be disconnected on the 15 Oct. I was told to ring CS again once I knew my cut off date. I believe that it takes BTW up to 7 working days to remove the marker from the line. Does anyone know if Sky will start processing an order before the marker is off to reduce delay as I hear that the routers take a while to arrive.

Anyone on here done an cease and re-provide who can give us the full details of their experience?

Thanks

Bob.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry

Just got the confirmation from my current ISP that I am on BT IPSTREAM 1000 not LLU so the previous MAC key is useable.

I am losing confident in SkyBB. It has been over two weeks since my order, but I still haven't received the router. The CS reps keeps give me incorrect information and broken promises.

I now feel I am tricked to sign up for Sky TV. As the cool off time (8 days) has elapsed, I am not sure if I can cancel all Sky products without having to pay a fee.

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just told a CS rep that I am not on a LLU but he didn't seem to believe me. After a long discussion with him, I finally presusaded him to check my MAC key. And he discovered that my earlier provided MAC key was not accepted. It seemed the guy who took my MAC key entered it wrong. I now gave him the MAC key again and it has been accepted. Hopefully, I'll receive the activation date within the next 10 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast