Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BB speed less than expected

This is a discussion on BB speed less than expected within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been into the router setup and seen that my download speed is approx 6.5meg. as shown below.. Modem ...

thomo5949 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: penryn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

BB speed less than expected

I have been into the router setup and seen that my download speed is approx 6.5meg. as shown below..

Modem
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 6304 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

However when I do a speed test I only get about 1.4meg. As shown below:

The results I'm showing are when I have connected by ethernet cable but I do normally use wifi, however the results and almost exactly the same. I have checked and sky are not throttling my connection. These results are almost exactly the same what ever time of day I run a test.

Does anyone have any idea how i can get results closer to the speeds stated on the router?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: BB speed less than expected

Sadly you are on Sky Broadband Connect.

Take a look at this thread: (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

I have just taken a look at SamKnows and it appears that your exchange does now have Sky's equipment: SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Penryn (WWPRYN) Exchange

There may be a logical reason, but I would give Sky a friendly call and ask why your exchange has been upgraded, yet you do not appear to be on Sky Broadband Unlimited.

Such genuine reasons include 'the equipment is full and there are no spare sockets'. Please report back and let us know what happens.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So your ethernet speed has suddenly dropped since this post - Router stats misleading

Your original complaint was about slow wireless speed, is this not now the case?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your response.

I used to get around 4.5 meg until recently. I have been in contact with sky over the last few months trying to resolve another problem where I would get constant drop outs on the line. 4 engineers later the problem seemed to get resolved when a short section of underground cable was replaced. However since then the speed has dropped right off.

I called sky earlier and explained the issue and they said I should be closer to the speed quoted on my router setting and they didn't know why I was actually receiving the slower speeds. At their request I reset the router but it gave no improvement. They put it down to speedtest.net not giving accurate results.... I feel fobbed off so thought I'd give the forum a go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So your ethernet speed has suddenly dropped since this post - Router stats misleading

Your original complaint was about slow wireless speed, is this not now the case?
      Yes it has got worse since then. On the advice of sky i have tested with ethernet and the speed is still down. I think that eliminates a problem with the wifi / channel.

Thanks

They put it down to speedtest.net not giving accurate results.
      I am not surprised, that speedtester is very inconsistent. If you want Sky to take any notice of speedtests you must use the official BT tester. They must accept this as accurate. If you take several tests on the official tester at different times of the day, Sky must accept that there is a problem with your line. Make sure you follow the instructions on using the site so that you get accurate results.
      Test Result

Another problem with ADSLMax, which you are on, is that a fault on your line can cause the speed Profile to be reduced, this reduces your download speed. Even if the fault is cleared it can take up to 3 days for the Profile to return to its correct rate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well I have an update.......

Had a phone call a couple days ago and was told that BT will be changing the equipment in the exchange tomorrow in an attempt to resolve my issue I have with the BB connection dropping out. I'm hoping my speed will also improve.

I then got a letter from Sky telling me that in a weeks time I will be placed on the BB unlimited package. I assume that this means that the exchange has been upgraded and FTTC has been installed. I'm praying to the end of my problems.

I'll keep you posted. But thanks for your help up to this point.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It won't be FTTC but it probably means Sky have unbundled your exchange so can offer the Unlimited package
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I think it means you have come to the top of the queue for upgrading. Your exchange was enabled by Sky some time ago, but no slots were available for you so you were put on Connect. It has nothing to do with FTTC which is not due in your exchange for another year. Post your stats when the switch is completed and you will get an idea what speed you can expect of Sky LLU.

If you have been paying the full cost for Connect, your monthly bill will also come down.

TomD

Useful Utilites