Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem with D-Link DSL 2640S ?

This is a discussion on Problem with D-Link DSL 2640S ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies in advance if this should be in the Routers forum but I though it best to post here to ...

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problem with D-Link DSL 2640S ?

Apologies in advance if this should be in the Routers forum but I though it best to post here to get a variety of ideas.

Last week our Sky Broadband connection went down. After three hours, I contacted Sky and after tests on the line, etc. both I and the advisor believed it to be an issue with the router - a DSL 2640S. The power light and the wireless broadcast light were green, whilst the broadband/internet light was solid orange. When attempting to reset the router (both via the Reset button at the rear and via the router interface, it would hang and the Test light would flash green constantly). Significantly, up until a few weeks ago, the installed firmware version was 1.11; at some point prior to Wednesday, it had been updated to 2.04

Sky sent out another router (the same make and model with 2.04 pre-installed). In the interim, I used my own rather antiquated Netgear router (having extracted the username and password). This worked fine. However, the new router arrived on Friday afternoon and upon installing it, I found that the same problem existed - lights, hanging, everything.

I contacted Sky again on Friday and they arranged for an Openreach engineer to visit on Saturday morning. He test the line with his own equipment and saw that my Netgear router was working whilst the two Sky-supplied D-Link routers were not. Having spoken to Sky again, they are in the process of dispatching a new router to me - hopefully either a Sagem or Netgear.

I'm curious - has anybody else had this problem? Is it the router or is it the firmware upgrade? I'm certain the firmware upgrade was recent and prior to then everything seemed to work ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Problem with D-Link DSL 2640S ?

It is some time since the Dlink was updated so I doubt if that it the problem. Howerver, you could try downgrading the firmware. This would prove whether it is the update that is causing the problem. You can find instructions on how to do this in this thread. How to downgrade firmware on the Sky D-Link DSL 2640S router with firmware 2.04

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Ricky79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Worcester WMWR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Problem with D-Link DSL 2640S ?

i have had same problem now waiting on router no.3 to arrive the nice enginer mark said he would request a brand new router which should arrive sealed with the cd and leads ect not a refubished one like the last 2 as they both had the same fault constant flashing test light fingers crossed its one off there new phase 3 wireless n routers but more importantly it works this time lol