Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear DG834GT acting weird

This is a discussion on Netgear DG834GT acting weird within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well my trusted original V1 netgear has started acting strange of late. Firstly, whilst I have IP Address reservation for ...

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Netgear DG834GT acting weird

Well my trusted original V1 netgear has started acting strange of late.

Firstly, whilst I have IP Address reservation for all my devices, the netgear has now decided to ignore this and allocate whatever IP address it fancies.

Secondly, my netgear was running the custom firmware but on logging back into the router today I've noticed that's it back to the standard Sky firmware.

Very weird.

I mailed Sky and asked for a free replacement and was told the standard 28 or 35 for an N class. Interestingly they are happy for me to use my own router and to use software to hack it to get the password. Email convo is below!!

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
      Yes that is correct you can use another router however we will not be able to support it or provide technical advise.
      I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Technical team on 08442 411 411, where one of our advisors will be happy to help .
      Kind Regards
      Removed
      Sky Help Centre
      Sky.com - your home for the latest news, sport and entertainment

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
      Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, you are confirming that it is okay for me to use my own adsl modem/router to connect to sky broadband without breaching your t and c's? If this is the case then that is fine as there is software out there to extract the adsl login and password from the current netgear even if you don't hold them.

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my iPad

On 19 Nov 2011, at 13:06, Sky Help Centre <help@skycustomersupport.com> wrote:

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre. I can only apologise that you feel the T&C's are unfair but we do not provide log in details for third party routers to any customers and at no point are these kept on file to be provided. If you wish to use a third party router it must be setup and maintained by yourself and if any troubleshooting is required in the future we can only troubleshoot a Sky supplied router. We can not provide a router free of charge as your current router is out of its 12 month manufacturing warranty and a like for like replacement would be at a cost of 28.00GBP or alternatively we have an N class router available at a cost of 35.00GBP.

Whilst I realise that you may be disappointed with the decision made, I hope that you can appreciate our position on this matter.

Kind regards
      removed
      Sky Help Centre
      Sky.com - your home for the latest news, sport and entertainment

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Netgear DG834GT acting weird

Obviously your router is getting on a little now and many have replaced them already. I am surprised that they wouldn't let you have a replacement for free, since you have been with Sky broadband for a few years.

As to the correspondence, I guess that's as good a green light as we'll ever get for using a non-Sky router!

So how are you going to proceed from here?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I've got a Berlin play max but that doesn't work with apple bonjour (known issue waiting for a firmware fix that never comes).

Might buy one of the fancy netgears

I want one with decent wireless n and gigabit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Well the last beta firmware was reasonably stable for mine. Now the latest firmware is out, many of the more serious issues should have been resolved.

The most serious issue was with ADSL1 connections.

The WiFi has been solid in my experience on both 2.4 & 5 GHz channels. It supports a 1Gbit LAN too.

The price on Pixmania earlier this week was sub 100. Sadly now it is 114 +9.30 carriage.

I'm sure if you shop around you should be able to get a reasonable price.

If you are prepared to wait a week or so, then there should be reports from others about how good or bad the firmware is.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

you should get a replacement for free, as mine got replaced recently - I loved that trusty DG834GT router then it unfortunately died on me and ive had that for 4 years

now I have the replaced, free, router which is a black one - rubbish unfortunately

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

Exchange:
      Thanks

If sky did a gigabit router then I'd push for a replacement. My sister got one for simply asking for her line to re reconfiged!!

I'll be getting the netgear dgnd3700 n600

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk