Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband issues

This is a discussion on Broadband issues within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I had sky unlimited broadband activated and talk about a week and a half ago but initially it didn't ...

stewyd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kingswinford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1tb box
      Thanks

Broadband issues

Hi,

I had sky unlimited broadband activated and talk about a week and a half ago but initially it didn't work as I am in a new build flat and it wasn't connected to the bt network in the box down the street. An openreach engineer came and sorted that ou and also connected each of the two extension sockets in my flat. My phone was connected to one of the extensions but I connected my sky adsl router to the maste socket. My predicted speed was between 9.6 and 14.4 meg but ever since line testing began on Sunday I have had a maximum connection speed of about 3 meg apart from the day the testing began when I got about 6 meg. I noticed today that my phone was connected directly into one of the extension sockets, rather than via a micro filter. I thought this may be causing the slow speeds so I plugged it in through a filter but I noticed there was no dial tone. I plugged the phone directly into the socket again and there was still no dial. I tried my phone into the other extension socket and into the micro filter that the modem is connected to but there was still no dial tone even though I was able to use broadband (albeit a lot slower than expected). I decided to try the phone into the test socket in my master socket. When I did that I did get a dial tone.

This is really strange because when the open reach engineer left on Saturday it was all working fine and I used the phone the day after so it was all fine then too. I'm not sure where I stand with sky as I have heard that any of the internal wiring in my house is my responsibility. I'm not sure what is causing this problem, whether it is an internal wiring issue or a line problem. I suspect the latter.

Can anyone please advise what I should do or what the likely cause is before I phone Sky tomorrow?

Thanks for reading!

stewyd

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broadband issues

If it was all working bit is now not then the most likely cause is a bad connection. On ew builds this can happen as some of the "CW1308" (isn't even CW1308 spec!) is way too thin. Can you post a picture of the wiring on the back of the plate you removed to reveal the test socket?
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Cheers for your reply. I'll post when I get home from work.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should also post your router stats using only the cable supplied by Sky..
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting That is when I had it plugged into the faceplate of the master socket.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting That is what I am getting now it is plugged directly into the test socket

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting and that's apicture of the wiring behind the faceplate. nothing obvious jumps out at me, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. If you need different angles, let me know

Thanks

Resync your router by switching off the power for a minute then back on again. If you still have a very high noise margin without a substantial increase in speed, call Sky and ask them to reset your line as it has had a fault on the line repaired. Leave it connected to the Test socket. You should get 9-11Mb.

It would be advisable to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. Removing the orange wire from terminal 3 may help, but plugging into the existing faceplate again will reduce your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

stewyd (19-11-11)

Thanks

I rang Sky last night and asked them to have a look at the speed. Now I'm connected at 9555kpbs which is loads better. The girl I spoke to said that was about as fast as I will get which is fine with me. Obviously faster would be better but 10 meg is more than enough really. I really can't fault Sky's customer service either. I must dealt with five different people over the last month or so and they all bend over backwards to help you. A bit different to Virgin!

I'll get a new filtered faceplate and fit that at some point. Just a quick one though, could you tell me what each of the wires that are connected to my face plate are supposed to do then?

Thanks

The wires on the faceplate lead to your extension. Only the ones on the 2 and 5 terminals are required, the others are not really needed, except number 3 which is required with some old phones. If you have modern phones you can safely leave it off.

TomD

Useful Utilites