Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Joining Sky - Will VPN work?

This is a discussion on Joining Sky - Will VPN work? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I am at the point of migrating to SKY broadband from BT , as will save a lot ...

noddy119 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01760
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Joining Sky - Will VPN work?

Hi All

I am at the point of migrating to SKY broadband from BT, as will save a lot of money, and have a faster connection as my exchange has LLU kit.

I work from home occasionally (using Checkpoint Secure client VPN to connect to my firms network) and having scoured these forums think that it will work with some tweaking of the router settings. However most of the posts relate to the older routers. Could someone confirm if the current router (SAGEMCOM F@ST 2504N) will work without special firmware from SKY etc. I would like to have a seamless change over with no interruption to my work

Thanking you in advance...

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Joining Sky - Will VPN work?

Some VPN software does work, but not all.

If no one can confirm that the software you use does work, then I would suggest the following course of action:

• ask a colleague, friend or family member, if you can pop round to their home to test it on their connection
      • consider purchasing your own router and using this

If you take the option to use your own router, then you can either get a router which has it's own ADSL modem or consider using a Cable router.

Technically is is against Sky's T&Cs to use your own router, but you can find more information on this topic on this forum.

A Cable router would connect to the Sky router. The Sky router would then be configured to effectively work like a modem, leaving the Cable router to manage your LAN and allow the VPN connection. Since it is the Sky router connected to the telephone line, you are not breaching Sky's T&Cs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

noddy119 (18-11-11)

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie

I thought about the test - I am trying to get my Father to take Sky Broadand as he can get the free option as has SKY tv, he is trying to persuade Sky to waive the set up fee at present.

I like the idea of connecting another Router to the sky one - I take it this will bypass the blocked ports on the sky router? I can use my BT Home Hub 2 which I know works with the VPN, I could even unlock that and use as a modem/router if needed.

I have also found further details of my VPN software, which might help confirm...

From the Checkpoint help documentation
      Tunnel Properties

Shows whether the following features are active:

UDP Encapsulation. This is a feature that enables SecuRemote/SecureClient to overcome problems created by a Hide NAT device.

Visitor mode. Sometimes SecuRemote/SecureClient needs to connect through a Gateway that limits connections to port 80 or 443. For a successful VPN connection to take place, all traffic between SecuRemote/SecureClient and the Site has to be tunneled inside a regular TCP connection on port 443. This "TCP tunneling" is called Visitor Mode.

Tunnel active. Whether or not there is a VPN tunnel open.

IP compression. IP compression is a process that reduces the size of the data being sent. Such a reduction can cause significant improvement in performance. IP compression is important for SecuRemote/SecureClient users with slow links, for example dialup.

IKE over TCP. IKE negotiation typically takes place over UDP. However, during the IKE negotiation between SecuRemote/SecureClient and the Site, large UDP packets might be created. If these large packets are fragmented along the way, the IKE negotiation fails. TCP packets are not, as a rule, fragmented, so in cases where large IKE packets are created, enable IKE over TCP.

noony is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Noddy,

I use checkpoint VPN SecureClient without issue over Sky broadband. In fact I am using the tunnel as I write this.

I am using a non Sky router (Belkin). But I have every other model Sky have given out and all work with the exception of the First Sagem one.

SAGEMCOM F@ST 2504N works just fine.
      Last edited by noony; 18-11-11 at 11:39 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to noony For This Useful Post:

noddy119 (18-11-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noddy119 View Post
      I thought about the test - I am trying to get my Father to take Sky Broadand as he can get the free option as has SKY tv, he is trying to persuade Sky to waive the set up fee at present.
      Good luck. This will depend on who he is dealing with and any particular targets or offers available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by noddy119 View Post
      I like the idea of connecting another Router to the sky one - I take it this will bypass the blocked ports on the sky router? I can use my BT Home Hub 2 which I know works with the VPN, I could even unlock that and use as a modem/router if needed.
      By placing the Cable router in the Sky router's DMZ, you bypass all the Sky router's control (ports, firewall, etc.).

I have previously connected my own Netgear DGND3700 in this manner and it worked perfectly. I could also access the Sky router so that i could check the connection and make any other adjustments.

If you disable the WiFi on the Sky router, then no one can connect to it via that method. By leaving the DHCP Server functions enabled, you can plug a computer in to the router and access it directly, should your own router play up.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

noddy119 (18-11-11)

Thanks

Talking Re: Joining Sky - Will VPN work?

Thanks Noony & Scubbie - worry over VPN over...

Skyuser.co.uk is another good reason to join Sky, the information and community is excellent.

I am going to place the order this weekend