Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible to get some more speed?

This is a discussion on Possible to get some more speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was just wondering if it possible to get some extra speed from Sky. Here are my router stats: My ...

Gaz85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Possible to get some more speed?

I was just wondering if it possible to get some extra speed from Sky. Here are my router stats:

My sister lives just down the road from me and is getting 19*** downstream and 1*** up. Surely there shouldn't be that much difference in 2 places only a few doors apart?

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Possible to get some more speed?

Depends on her attenuation. If she has a shorter line then she'll get more
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Could you plug your router into the Test Socket with just a micrfilter and the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the router by Sky and post the router;s stats from that position please?

Also is there a chance that you can post your sister's stats as well?

As silly as it sounds, those stats actually show that your speed is too high for the line at the moment. Sky uses a default noise margin of 7dB and those show that the noise margin is lower than this.

AS things are though, noise margin aside, you are getting the correct speed for your line attenuation according to the tool available on this site.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I cant ry to get my Sisters stats when she is there. She works nights and by the time I get home, she has gone to work.

Here are my stats when plugged into the test socket:

The Noise Margin was actually at 7db when I first plugged it in but dropped to 5 again. Sometimes, it actually drops to 3 as you can see here which was taken a few minutes after the screen above:

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your line is getting too much speed, you need to resync when the noise margin is low to give you a stable speed. In most cases this will give a better connection with a higher actual throughput. With the noise margin so low you are bound to be generating a lot of errors, meaning that the data has to be resent, thus slowing your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your line is getting too much speed, you need to resync when the noise margin is low to give you a stable speed. In most cases this will give a better connection with a higher actual throughput. With the noise margin so low you are bound to be generating a lot of errors, meaning that the data has to be resent, thus slowing your connection.
      I am not getting any trouble at all with the connection. When I download from most sites it's going at 1.4mb/s and completely stable.

Thanks

That's pretty good. Your router must be performing very well. Normally you would get a reduction with a low noise margin, but if you are happy, that's all that counts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its been the same with the default router from Sky and my own Netgear DG845G that I'm using now. I just wondered how I had a slow connection compared to my Sister a few doors away? What causes the low noise margin?

The phone line in the house is not the best. The socket is not even fixed to the wall and there are wires hanging out from it everywhere. It was like that when I moved in. Could that have something to do with it ?

Thanks

It may do. Bad wiring can cause a high attenuation which in turn will reduce your sync speed. Attenuation depends on the length, condition and quality of the line. If your sister has a very good line it is quite possible she could be further from the exchange than you and still have a lower attenuation. If she is getting 19Mb her attenuation is probably in the teens or low 20s, much lower than yours. Get your wiring tidied up and see if it makes any difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wouldn't know where to start with the wiring to be honest. I can see there is the orange/white wire going into the back of the socket. The rest are all hanging outside and they are yellow, green and black it looks like.

The noise margin was at 7db this afternoon when I first plugged it into the test socket so what would cause it to drop to 3?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast