Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased

This is a discussion on Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with Sky Broadband since the end of May and the router has been syncing at just over 16mb, ...

Damo1888 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased

I've been with Sky Broadband since the end of May and the router has been syncing at just over 16mb, until recently. For the past month or so, the sync speed is going no higher than 14.5mb. Nothing at all has changed with regards to my setup.

I rang Sky to be told that I'm getting the maximum possible speed for my line (14.5mb). If this is the case, then why was I getting over 16mb for about 4 months solid?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased

Post your stats please-
      How to get your router statistics

It is possible you have a fault on your line or it is just suffering from general degrading.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Speed 14593 kbps 1142 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 17.4 dB
      Noise Margin 7.1 dB 8.8 dB

Thanks

That looks OK. Sky are correct in that you are getting as much as possible. As I said you may have a fault or the line has degraded. If you have one, plug into the Test socket and post your stats from there, use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've recently noticed that my current line attenuation is 29.5db, whereas it used to be 27db when I was getting 15.5-16mb. Is this why my speed has decreased?

I've got a new faceplate fitted and it's a new flat, so the chances of it being the wiring is relatively slim. I've also tried the test socket and am getting the exact same speeds.

Can this attenuation be changed on Sky's end? I wasn't getting any disconnections when the attenuation was at 27db, so I'd like to get it changed, if at all possible.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

"new flat..."

That could very well be the issue. New builds tend to have inferior wiring to save costs. Fine at first, troublesome later on
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      "new flat..."

That could very well be the issue. New builds tend to have inferior wiring to save costs. Fine at first, troublesome later on
      A neighbour across the hall is also on Sky (and have been a customer for almost a year longer than me) and they're getting 16mb downstream, 1.1mb upstream. I was also with O2 Broadband for a year and got a constant 16mb downstream speed.

I, personally, don't think it's a problem with the flat's wiring at all. So, is it possible for the attenuation to be altered in any way if I was to ring Sky?

Thanks

Can this attenuation be changed on Sky's end? I wasn't getting any disconnections when the attenuation was at 27db, so I'd like to get it changed, if at all possible.
      No the attenuation is a measurement of the condition of the line and its length. The only way it can be changed is by shortening it, very unlikely, or by improving its condition, possible, but not easy to attain, unless there is a fault on the line.
      I've also tried the test socket and am getting the exact same speeds.
      You will as your line will be capped to give its best performance. What you want to see is an increase in your noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No the attenuation is a measurement of the condition of the line and its length. The only way it can be changed is by shortening it, very unlikely, or by improving its condition, possible, but not easy to attain, unless there is a fault on the line.

You will as your line will be capped to give its best performance. What you want to see is an increase in your noise margin.
      Thanks for clarifying that it's a line issue. What could have happened, quality wise, that's made the attenuation go from 27db to 29.5db?

Thanks

When was the attenuation 27db? If this was soon after you were activated, it would be because you were on ADSL1, being moved to ADSL2+ would increase the attenuation by 1-3db. If it was after DLM completed then there is possibly a fault in your line somewhere. This is difficult to get fixed if your voice line is OK.

Have you checked your Test socket again?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast