Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased

This is a discussion on Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme When was the attenuation 27db? If this was soon after you were activated, it would be ...

Damo1888 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky broadband's sync speed has decreased

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When was the attenuation 27db? If this was soon after you were activated, it would be because you were on ADSL1, being moved to ADSL2+ would increase the attenuation by 1-3db. If it was after DLM completed then there is possibly a fault in your line somewhere. This is difficult to get fixed if your voice line is OK.

Have you checked your Test socket again?
      I got Sky line rental and broadband at the beginning of June and the attenuation was 27db then. It went from 27db to 29.5db sometime around mid-August, early September.

If it was the case of going from ADSL1 to ADSL2, then why was I receiving 16mb at 27db for a year with O2 Broadband?

Could going from BT line rental to Sky line rental have anything to do with this issue?

2. Advertisement
      flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Could going from BT line rental to Sky line rental have anything to do with this issue?
      I doubt it as I think you were saying that it was still at 27db atten when that changed over?

I have had the exact same problem, one day I reset router and the attenuation went up by ~3db and avg. noise margin dropped by 3-4db therefore a 2mb sync loss.

Noticed a BTO engineer was messing about in the cabinet the day before, something tells me this isn't a coincidence.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flamey View Post
      I doubt it as I think you were saying that it was still at 27db atten when that changed over?

I have had the exact same problem, one day I reset router and the attenuation went up by ~3db and avg. noise margin dropped by 3-4db therefore a 2mb sync loss.

Noticed a BTO engineer was messing about in the cabinet the day before, something tells me this isn't a coincidence.
      Yes, it was in between 26-27db before we changed to Sky.

Hmm, very interesting. That definitely does sound like too much of a coincidence. Have you ever managed to get your original attenuation back?

flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Not yet, I kind of gave up as its so much hassle to get through to someone with actual knowledge.

I got an engineer out once but got a 'we missed you' message through the door because they couldn't be bothered to knock, don't hold much hope at all as they are just as likely to make it worse than to fix it...

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flamey View Post
      Not yet, I kind of gave up as its so much hassle to get through to someone with actual knowledge.

I got an engineer out once but got a 'we missed you' message through the door because they couldn't be bothered to knock, don't hold much hope at all as they are just as likely to make it worse than to fix it...
      Know the feeling with regards to getting through to someone remotely knowledgeable on the subject, very frustrating indeed!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it was the case of going from ADSL1 to ADSL2, then why was I receiving 16mb at 27db for a year with O2 Broadband?
      As I said-
      If it was after DLM completed then there is possibly a fault in your line somewhere. This is difficult to get fixed if your voice line is OK.
      With regards your attenuation with O2, It is quite common for different routers to calculate the attenuation differently. In my case my DG834gt reads mine as 37db, a DG934g I have reads it as 38.5db.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connection Speed 13536 kbps 1146 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30.0 dB 17.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.7 dB 8.6 dB

It's now dropped to a max of 13.5mb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12