Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fluctuating noise margin

This is a discussion on Fluctuating noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have searched and not found the same problem described ...

JackVane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fluctuating noise margin

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have searched and not found the same problem described / answered.

My query is about my noise margin (Netgear DG934G), which changes each and every second..

Rebooting the router at a quiet time can sometimes stabilize it at about 7, but most of the time it is jumping about all over the place. eg -

7, 5, 7, 4, 3, 6, 4, 2, 7 etc. I get the occational 8, and several zeros!

What is the likely cause? I'm experiencing poor online gaming due to lag, and I think this may be the reason. Before anyone asks, I have no NTE5 master socket - there never has been one, but I have tried in all 3 of the others with no improvement. I have done quiet line tests which come back negative, and tried to eliminate any other electrical equipment from the equation within my property. Calls to Sky only result in profile changes that give slower speeds and the same instability. This has been going on for so long with no resolution that I am actually thinking of moving house to one with a better internet connection! Extreme, but after trying nearly everyting else, I might just do that!

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Fluctuating noise margin

These are the current router stats-

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4093 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 5 db 16 db

x98
      x98 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSCA
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

If you can it may be worthwhile trying a different router.

My brother had a DG834G while on Post Office Broadband, his noise margin bounced around wildly a lot of the time.

When he moved to sky his new router never showed the same symptoms. I brought the Netgear to my premises to test it and it did the started bouncing around like at his house.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sadly I don't have an alternative router - the old one broke.

I have been considering buying another, but the Sky T&Cs state that I should only use theirs. I've read enough about that on here to know that it is possible, but that some have experienced difficulties by using non Sky supplied equipment.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you have a friend who has Sky, then you could easily ask if you could borrow their router to see what happens.

In the same respect, you could also plug your router on their connection.

Remember to swap the PSUs as well.

As for using your own router, there are many success stories. I'm enjoying a good fast connection with my Netgear. Hopefully the firmware due for release this month will fix the outstanding issues. If it does then I'll gladly recommend the router.

Apart from the WiFi & 1Gbit LAN, it also works with either an ADSL or Cable connection. This means that the router can work as it is now (connected to Sky's ADSL BB directly) or it can be connected via a Sky router, should Sky force everyone to use MER. I can also use it on a Fibre connection, should I ever get the opportunity.

The Billion 74xx series is also very popular with members on this forum. The firmware is stable and you also have the ability to tweak your connection easily, something I have to use Telnet for on the Netgear.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks.

I have been trying to lean about Telnet and tweaking my router, but frankly it baffles me...

And those Billion routers are quite expensive, just to get one in the hope that it solves the problem..

Interesting thought about the psu though..

I have been experimenting with it all night, and I'm fed up now! I'll give it up for now and think about it tomorrow.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

There is a long thread on the Netgear DGND3700 in the technical section. Within the thread are instructions & links on using Telnet with the router. The instructions are the same for many other Netgear routers, however I don't think they work with the one you have.

Netgear DGND3700 N600

An important thing with telnet commands is that if you power off the router, they are generally lost.

Following the most recent firmware update, my router was no longer connecting at my line's fullest connection speed. By running Telnet, I've managed to squeeze a little more from the connection by artificially reducing the noise margin. See the stats below for confirmation of this.

Also using the telnet feature, I've been able to pull the more detailed connection stats from the router. These show me that I have very few CRC errors. CRC errors are the more serious kind, which are uncorrected. Strangely I've found out in the past that the router is showing more CRC errors than Sky's equipment, so I guess that in my case I've been fine.

With regards to the PSU, I specifically mentioned this as sometimes a fault can be caused by the PSU. If the problem swaps with the router, check the PSU specs & you can try swapping the PSUs temporarily as well. Hopefully this with show whether the PSU is to blame.

Generally it is the Sagem 2504 PSU which has the worst track record.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fluctuating noise margin-stats-16-11-11.jpg  

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Before anyone asks, I have no NTE5 master socket - there never has been one, but I have tried in all 3 of the others with no improvement.
      Unless you are willing to fit one or have one fitted, about the only other thing you can do is remove the ring wire. This is the wire connected to terminal number 3 on the back of the faceplate. Just remove the 2 screws holding the faceplates on and pull the No.3 wire upwards out of the connectors. It is usually the orange wire, but it may be different on yours. Tuck it out of the way so it does not short on other connectors. Take your stats before and after doing this.

When you are doing this find the socket with a capacitor, a small cylinder about the size of a triple A battery. This is the Master socket and is the one you should preferably use.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for your replies so far.

As far as the NTE5 / Master socket goes - I'm quite tempted to fork out the 150 odd that BT/openreach will charge to supply and fit one. At least then I can have the internal wiring checked at the same time and satisfy myself that everything there is OK.

buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR-102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Might be worth trying to get an SFI engineer booked. They replace obsolete NTEs as a matter of course.

If your line is connecting at less than the expected speed, and the diagnostics are showing instability or errors, I don't see why they wouldn't book one, as long as you get through to a competent CST agent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast