Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin

This is a discussion on A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello everyone, i've been a lurker here for a while and just wanted to say thanks to all the regular ...

rubberband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin

hello everyone,

i've been a lurker here for a while and just wanted to say thanks to all the regular contributors for the info that's been already provided on these forums

ok, so i used to be with talktalk and finally decided to move our phone line and BB to sky after literally years of horrific service. phone line was switched over without issue and the BB went live last thursday -(1 day late due to a problem with the frame at the exchange?), but sky's customer service was light years ahead of talktalk's and kept me informed throughout.

i was advised that i would get a BB speed of 7-14 Mbps and i was started off on 4 on thursday. this went up to 6 on friday morning, but was then reduced to 5 on saturday morning and 4.5 on sunday morning where it has remained. i haven't had any interruptions / dropouts during browsing / internet use at all since activation -it's been perfect in that regard.

here are my stats:

Connection Speed 4558 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 20.2 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 17.4 dB

now in my basic understanding of how this all works my line attenuation is pretty good and should allow me to get a speed of about 10?
      but my noise margin is poor and close to the target of 7dB and so i'm not going to get more speed because of that?

this is the thing though: for the first 48 hours or so my downstream noise margin was much higher -around 13-15 dB. this is why the speed went from 4-6 on the first night i guess? but then the noise margin suddenly plummeted to around the 6-8 dB mark. it goes down at nightfall but now sticks rigidly to that range.

why would this happen? what has caused the downstream noise margin to go from 13-15 dB to 7 dB? the upstream noise margin hasn't changed if that means anything?

according to my sky, DLM started on saturday -would this affect it? there's no noise / crackling on my phone line and phone calls are all loud & clear. we live in a new build house, (built about 7 years ago), so i guess the physical phone line and infrastructure is pretty modern. i've run several tests on pingtest.net and i have 0 lost data packets / ping ~60 / jitter 2 and it rates my line as A or B.

i have router plugged into master socket, (no extension leads used etc), and there is nothing at all plugged into any of the extension sockets. i've tried the test socket but there's no difference in stats. there hasn't been any changes to our setup in the house at all during this period. router hasn't been rebooted or anything.

can anyone shed any light on this? is it worth calling sky to talk with them whilst i'm still on DLM? i'm not that bothered about speed but obviously i want to get the best VFM that i can and would like to get something in the range of the 7-14 that i was advised.

thanks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin-capture.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin

Sounds like you've done plenty of reading as you have already commented on things people would have asked you to do.

With a crystal clear line and no drop outs it will be very hard to convince BT to investigate your slow speed. The fault probably lies at the exchange or the cabinet.

What sort of speeds were you getting with talk talk?

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for the reply.

i only ever measured the speed with talktalk near the end, i.e. in the last few months. we were getting 0.9! i knew very little about BB back then and how it all worked and speeds etc but it got to a stage where it was becoming impossible to do basic web browsing and use spotify, and that's when i started to educate myself about it and find out what was going on.

we were also having a lot of drop outs which could only be rectified by turning the router off and on and i just could not get any sense out of their tech support. i would get a different answer every time and was getting nowhere with them. one person did say there had been a lot of errors on the line, but then another 5 people said that wasn't a problem...

so i switched to sky and i know they're not perfect, but their customer service has been great in comparison.

when you say a 'crystal clear line', as i mentioned earlier the phone line sounds, (to my untechnical ears), absolutely fine. phone calls are loud & clear and the line sounds pretty much the same as any other line i've used. but there is a little bit of background hiss. it's not loud, it doesn't interfere with a call in anyway but there's a little hiss in the same way there's a little background hiss when listening to an FM radio.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As you say it looks like you are near your maximum but with DLM training the line that may not be the case. Give it a few more days and see what happens. I have seen some lines increasing greatly when it appeared they were near the maximum.

To check your line, using a corded phone plug into the Test socket and dial one digit. You should hear nothing except maybe a very quiet hiss, anything more needs reporting to your provider, Sky?

You can use a cordless phone, but some of these have noise cancelling built in and others create noise themselves, so the results are not always accurate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

just an update for anyone who might be interested.

i called sky on tues/weds. i wasn't expecting any joy from them as i was only 4 or so days into DLM.

i got put thru to india and they were great. we did some diagnostics and it turns out there was a problem with my faceplate and that better results could be achieved by using the test socket. i've now replaced the faceplate with a NTE2000 and i'm getting exactly the same results from the master socket as i am directly in the test socket.

stats attached! massive improvement and i'm very happy.

only problem i have left is that my extension sockets somehow will just not work after changing the faceplate -if anyone can help with this, check out this thread.

thanks.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few questions from a new Sky customer -disappearing noise margin-capture.jpg