Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Low noise margin and connection problems

This is a discussion on Low noise margin and connection problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had sky unlimited for a few years now, originally with one of the sagem routers and during that time ...

JMNNN is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Low noise margin and connection problems

I've had sky unlimited for a few years now, originally with one of the sagem routers and during that time all was well - up until the power supply broke on the router. A phonecall or 2 later and I have myself a new netgear router.

I've had this router for over a year now and for the most part it works great but at odd times for up to a month at a time I will experience problems with the noise margin varying from 11 (highest it ever is) and 0 and then onto a number resembling 21425234957. When it's like this is get constant connection drops which usually require a restart of the router get back to normal for anywhere between a 1 min to a few hours.

That is the usual problem which while annoying I never felt the need to sign up to these forums to get help, but starting a few days ago I was getting the problem again as usual until today which saw under the 'show statistics' page of the router that my down and upstream speeds increased from 14580 and 700ish to 15800 +- and 950 +-. Of course this seemed like a good thing - who doesn't want better speeds? but of course the big downside is now my noise margin is never above 7, my connection is much more unstable than ever and the noise margin drops to 0 quite regularly through the day along with the speeds changing a little too (never more than 100 either way).

I have tried 3 different filters, plugged into the master socket etc which changes nothing. Even ping + speed tests give me good results so I really don't know what the problem is. Sorry for the blocks of text but I figure it's time to get this sorted! Help would be much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      CAP007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton-Under-lyne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Low noise margin and connection problems

Having the same problem by the sounds of it, mine started about a month ago. Currently tryin to get the time to ring tech support up n see what they have to say. Regular day 2 day use not a problem but errors causing latency issues affecting gaming

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you have varying noise on your line which is causing errors. All lines have some fluctuation in the noise margin over a 24 hour period, but this is usually just 1 or 2 db, which does no harm. Yours appears to be fluctuating by up to 11db which is far too much.
      Your first action should be to get Sky to have your line checked for faults by BTO. If they can find nothing wrong then you could ask Sky to cap the speed on your line to reduce the errors.
      Can you post your full stats please?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMNNN View Post
      ... plugged into the master socket
      Have you tried the test socket inside the master socket (to eliminate internal wiring,if you have any)?

Andy