Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Never thought I'd see the day but...

This is a discussion on Never thought I'd see the day but... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm disappointed in my skyBB with a range of issues over the past 1.5 months since the trusty DG834 router ...

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Never thought I'd see the day but...

I'm disappointed in my skyBB with a range of issues over the past 1.5 months since the trusty DG834 router died on me ever since I had it when I signed up with sky about 4 years ago.

My line is capable of doing up to 16MB. I was getting 14.5MB and then it died.... and now the line is going up and down all the time and never more than 10MB

Does anyone have BT Infinity? What is it like? Furthermore - what are the restrictions? is there a package without restrictions for downloads?

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

2. Advertisement
      Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Never thought I'd see the day but...

Hi

I would like to try and assist you in getting a stable speed again, would you mind logging into your Router Stats and posting up your upstream, noise margin, line attenuation.

You can find this by typing 192.168.0.1 into address bar username - admin, password sky

Thanks
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks but really, there is no point. I appreciate it but really, there is no point. I've been told repetitively that my line is only (now) capable of 10.8MB after the engineers "fixed" the fault

before, it was 16 and I was getting 14.5 which I was happy with. no issues at all for years until about 1.5 months ago when that router died and since I got the new one, nothing but problems.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

There is a lot of talk at present on this forum about the possibility of Sky launching a Fibre based product shortly, but this is speculation based on the news that options have appeared on the order screen.

As for BT Infinity T&Cs: https://www.productsandservices.bt.c...d%20Conditions

If you do torrents, then check out the recent news about Motion Picture Association forcing BT to block popular sites such as Newzbin2 & The Pirate Bay.

On a personal basis, and I have previously mentioned this on the forum, but I would never return to BT after the rudeness of the staff in their call centres in India. Should BT ever wish to tell me off for publicising this in a public forum, then I have written documentation to show how bad it was.

So I'm sorry, but I could never recommend BT.

There are however many other ISPs who are already selling Fibre based products.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

scubbie - thankyou for your honesty.

I dont want to use VM again - EVER.

I know sky are apperently doing fibre optic but no one knows when. I heard this since last year and dont expect to hear anything about it anytime soon... and im not going to be waiting all this time whilst my connection gets very poor and dies.

I wouldnt go for BT either.... but have no other choice really.

as for what ill be downloading - mainly large IT files and some videos too (TV shows aired in the US). that really is it.

Thanks

If we knew which exchange you are connected to it might be easier to make suggestions.

TalkTalk, for example, are currently able to process Fibre orders.

Be has only just started to see if anyone is interested (doh!).

PlusNet are owned by BT, but their call centres are not based in India. You may get someone with an Indian accent, but this is more because there plenty of people whose origins can be traced to the Indian continent.

Eclipse requires a BT Land-line subscription.

If you take a look at the various comparison sites, you should be able to find a more complete list of potential suppliers.

Hopefully Sky will make some kind of an announcement before you move to someone else.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again.

well I live 930m from the exchange but the wiring and everythng is apperently 3KM instead!
      Like I said, I used to get 14.5MB no problems. then over the last few months it degraded alot until my router died, got a replacement and that was never getting anything more than 11MB.

So here is my rundown of the ISP's you mentioned:

TalkTalk - er no thankyou. with the number of complaints they have had and watchdog being all over them, and some experience from a client of mine - overpriced and very unfriendly along with capping issues

Be - probably the same thing - capping issues

plusnet - capping issues

eclipse - expensive and bandwidth/capping issues

next? lol
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

No problem.

Eclipse actually only measure your download consumption, and this is between the hours of 9am and midnight, or at least used to. This means that if you wanted to hammer your connection for torrents between midnight and 9am, then it will not be included in your monthly allowance.

Otherwise my suggestion then would be to wait until Sky launches the Fibre product range.

Whilst BT has an Unlimited FTTC product, they do cap torrents during peak times (i.e. all weekend and 5pm-midnight on weekdays). This is stated clearly in their 'Broadband Usage Policy'.

I do understand that many people like a large bandwidth. I'm still hammering my connection this month. This afternoon I passed 800GB of traffic since 1st of the month.

Just now it is showing me with 95980MB upload & 739880MB download (total 835860MB).

...and yes I am trying for a record for me.

Exchange:
      Thanks

lol i was going to say - what on earth are you doing? lol

its interesting cos the guy I spoke to on BT said there is no FUP or anything AT ALL on the unlimited package. hmm.

but again with sky, no one knows WHEN it will happen. by the time it does happen, my line may only give me 1MB instead!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
      lol i was going to say - what on earth are you doing? lol
      I want to prove how reliable the router I have is, so I'm hammering it this month.

One of the features it has is a built in meter so that you can add up all the traffic. For those who have monthly caps, you can set it to notify you when this happens.

I have set mine to notify me when it reaches 800GB, but to continue downloading. When this happened today I got a page telling me what had happened & when (2:14pm).

its interesting cos the guy I spoke to on BT said there is no FUP or anything AT ALL on the unlimited package. hmm.
      Well I'm only providing the links to their own policies. What it does not state is how much BT slow the torrents by during peak times.

Any BT sales person should know their FUP. If they get it wrong, then you won't get any apology from BT, that's what I found when BT messed me around.

but again with sky, no one knows WHEN it will happen. by the time it does happen, my line may only give me 1MB instead!
      Very true, there is no date and we've been speculating on this forum for the past year now.

As for the final connection speed, I am sure that Sky has been looking in to the bandwidth issues. After the problems with their backhaul earlier this year, I can't see them wanting to repeat the problems in a hurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast