Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving from o2 LLU

This is a discussion on Moving from o2 LLU within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi people Currently with o2 llu and BT line and want to for Sky as they have half price for ...

hardhousehead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hardingstone
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Moving from o2 LLU

Hi people
      Currently with o2 llu and BT line and want to for Sky as they have half price for 6 months offer.

2 questions, I currently connect at 6mb with Line Attenuation of 45. I heard Sky will always be slower then o2 so is that true?

second Im worried about 2 weeks downtime as my mobile dongal dont get good enough signal so stuck on edge and trying to surf aint fun. do most people experience this 2 week downtime when switching?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Moving from o2 LLU

Quote Originally Posted by hardhousehead View Post
      2 questions, I currently connect at 6mb with Line Attenuation of 45. I heard Sky will always be slower then o2 so is that true?
      Take a look at your router's stats. o2 typically use a lower noise margin than Sky (around 5dB) but other options are available to them. If yours is higher than this, then you may benefit from moving to Sky.

Sky's target Noise Margin is 7dB. This creates a slightly slower connection, but it is more stable for a larger number of people.

I would also highly recommend that you take a look at how you are connecting your router to the telephone line. ADSL2+ (which 02 LLU & Sky LLU are) is more susceptible than ADSL to poor speeds when on poor lines and you may not have realised this. Using the Master Socket is more important and you may even benefit from using a filtered faceplate.

Take a look at these links to see if the advice in them can help:

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

Optimise Your Computer!

Sky User - Which ADSL Faceplate Filter?

::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::

second Im worried about 2 weeks downtime as my mobile dongal dont get good enough signal so stuck on edge and trying to surf aint fun. do most people experience this 2 week downtime when switching?
      This varies. Personally I am not sure of the technical reasons behind why this happens as some do get both the telephone line & broadband connected at the same time, whilst others have to wait typically 10 days for their broadband to go live.

I can only suggest that you may wish to play with a USB extension to see if you can position the dongle in a better place to get a reasonable signal or try a different network.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

My current SN Margin is 6.5 downstream.
      There is no test socket at my house as the only wall socket does not have a test socket on it. Im not so sure about buying another face plate though,
      Currently I got a extension cable going from wall socket to router about 5 meters as thats where my PC is.

About the dongal, with the work I need to do online I cannot do it using dongal. I have tried using my laptop in different locations and does not make much of a difference. So I think I will stay away from Sky and maybe try TalkTalk as I heard there is no downtime for them.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

My current SN Margin is 6.5 downstream.
      There is no test socket at my house as the only wall socket does not have a test socket on it. Im not so sure about buying another face plate though,
      Currently I got a extension cable going from wall socket to router about 5 meters as thats where my PC is.
      Ideally you should run a 5m Ethernet lead from the router to your PC. This will improve your connection. You may not notice a speed improvement, but typically the noise margin will increase and sometimes the Line Attenuation will decrease as well. You would need to look at the figures on both the downstream & upstream connections.

Once you've moved it, we would normally advise you to contact your ISP to increase your connection speed.

About the dongal, with the work I need to do online I cannot do it using dongal. I have tried using my laptop in different locations and does not make much of a difference. So I think I will stay away from Sky and maybe try TalkTalk as I heard there is no downtime for them.
      Good luck! In a recent Ofcom survey TalkTalk showed as being the worse for customer service level. I'm not suggesting that anyone else is 100% perfect.

There is another very important aspect that you may wish to consider: Sky is a domestic product. If you are working from home, you really ought to consider looking for a product designed for the business market.

Why?: Compensation levels should you experience any downtime; improved response times for any problems; suitable features which businesses require (i.e. large email capacity & traffic allowance).

You may also wish to consider moving to Be for a Bonded Line or wait until March next year as your exchange should be upgraded then to support Fibre.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

hardhousehead (10-11-11)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

Its not a business work that I do.
      Mainly just to improve me portfolio.
      If I call Sky then I doubt they can tell me if there will be downtime or not.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

There will be downtime, as to how much isn't known but seeing as the phone line needs moving to Sky before the BB goes active it may be a few hours to a few days
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      There will be downtime, as to how much isn't known but seeing as the phone line needs moving to Sky before the BB goes active it may be a few hours to a few days
      Yeah I just dont want 2 weeks like a lot of people have had.