Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How did this happen?

This is a discussion on How did this happen? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; so if i get lower then 7mb i should reboot? It depends on your DS noise margin. If this is ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: How did this happen?

so if i get lower then 7mb i should reboot?
      It depends on your DS noise margin. If this is below 7db, you will resync at an even lower speed. If it is much above 7db, your speed will increase.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      mstar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi everyone thanks for the help earlier i telephoned SKY and asked why i am on G.DMT and they said becuase my line/exchange cannot handle higher speeds of ADSL2.

currentlymy stats are:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6706 kbps 765 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0db 26.3db
      Noise Margin 6.7db 16.0db

also noticed on router home page the VCI now is 40 before it was 38.

The guy on the phone was very rude and i was shocked he didn't care i told him i am getting fluctuating speeds so he said he put me on DLM watch for 10 days and i am currently on 6.7mb and the max i should get is 7.2mb (after 10 days???) he said in 10 days!! and then said thank you and bye. Is this the normal procedure?

I feel so dejected to of got flogged off i thought they can just bump me up to the max, just feel the guy just wanted me to go

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Annoyingly some people don't know what they are talking about. Call again and hopefully you will get a different person.

DLM is not going to help you much in this instance IMHO. It is used by those who don't know what to do or have access to the correct screen as a BS tool.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

So is it ok to ring up during DLM? Last time they manually increased it this guy in cs, just said he put me on DLM and I should her back up to my usual speed of around 7.2mb in 10 days . Was he right?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mstar View Post
      So is it ok to ring up during DLM? Last time they manually increased it this guy in cs, just said he put me on DLM and I should her back up to my usual speed of around 7.2mb in 10 days . Was he right?
      During the initial training period Sky employees are forbidden from manually setting the line speed. I can't see why any subsequent training period should have similar restrictions,

Take a look at your connection stats this morning and see if they are any better. If they aren't suitable, then give Sky a call.

As for being right, perhaps if I were to pose a question you could understand better what I think:

Why do half a job and attempt to manually configure a line, then let the computers automatically configure it?

Evidence on this forum supports that the initial training period for DLM is often very good and will on most occasions get the best speed. Evidence on this forum also shows that should DLM be started after the initial training period, then it normally does not get the best connection speed.

Sadly many people who deal with broadband calls in Sky do not have access to the correct systems to enable them to manually configure a connection. Then of those that do have access, many make a mess of it.

However there are some who are brilliant at manually configuring a line and they really do get a good connection speed on both the up & down sides.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Was he right?
      I doubt it, it looks like your speed is more likely to go down than up.Incidentally, you are now on ADSL2+ which does not appear to suit your line. You were better off on G.DMT Sky help should have realised this and returned you to the better mode.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scrubbie - thanks for your help on this as always your insight is always great to read.
      I will ring again today and hopefully speak to someone who can do this for me.

Isitme - Am i really on ADSL2? (is that by the VCI now is 40 before it was 38??) is this good or bad?? Maybe i should leave it on DLM see if it increases but as Scrubbie said it probably
      won't help me in this instance?

I also got a spare SKY Netgear router i am curious to see how this does compared to the D-Link if it makes a difference to S/N ratio etc

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You're on ADSL2+, yes
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Isitme - Am i really on ADSL2? (is that by the VCI now is 40 before it was 38??) is this good or bad??
      Yes, you really are on ADSL2+ but this has nothing to do with being on MER. From what I have seen so far, it is bad, but let DLM run for a few days if you like. I doubt if it will make any difference, you would be better asking for a change back to G.DMT.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

is there a possiblity that if one is on 7mb on ADSL1 it be the same as 7mb connection on G.DMT? therefore no point in being on either for me unless one is less stable then the other.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast