Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Activated or Not?

This is a discussion on Activated or Not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Ordered Sky Connect for a self install on the 25 Sept, Router arrived on the 27th. I then received ...

jontyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activated or Not?

Hi, Ordered Sky Connect for a self install on the 25 Sept, Router arrived on the 27th. I then received an activation date for the 4th October. So far so good! Between these dates I had upgraded my Dial-Up telephone lead from the Master socket with a 5metre length of good quality solid core CAT5e cable as suggested else ware in this forum. Connection via LAN cable as no wireless card in the computer.

The great day arrived and in the afternoon I noticed excessive noise on the telephone line. I then checked the B.T. Order Tracking for my number and found that ‘Order completed’ for BTIPSTREAM MAX. Hooray!

Switched on the computer loaded the Sky Broadband Get set CD and followed connection instructions. Router lights were as depicted i.e. all solid green with the internet light changing from flashing amber to green although with some flickering every ten seconds or so. Pressed “Ready to Connect?” watched the connection bar traversing across the screen and then received the dreaded “ Hmmm not ready to go online yet”. “Check your lights and connections.” Retried for the rest of the day with no luck. Rang the 08705 6005630 help line and was told a wait of 25 minutes was expected. Rang off.

Phoned again the next morning and was surprised to get straight through. The advisor said that my details showed no activation as yet and to wait for a couple of days, try the Get Set CD once more and if no connection, to ring 08705 515515.

That’s where I am today. Has anyone else had this problem, is it a matter of waiting, or am I being fobbed off. Answers Please!!!!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site jontyuk

If as you say the 'i' light is a solid green then and nothing is happening I would be calling SkyBB Tech Support and demanding that they put you through to provisioning for them to get this sorted.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

tuffjam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: High Wycombe
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Is the 'i' light not the wireless light? I thought it was the 'tick' that needs to go green?

Tim
      Tim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hunslet
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Guys

Wheelie, how did you convince provisioning to sort you out. I have spoken to them a few times but they have never been interested in my green 'i' light. All they will say is the order tracker says I haven't been activated yet and it's BTs fault.

I can't find any definite info as to what the sync light actually means other than I am connected to something at the exchange. Maybe I am still connected to the adsl line my old ISP was using and the cease order stops me logging in and can't get to Sky as the LLU connection hasn't happened?

I can't get any info, BT said if Sky won't tell me where the order is at I should complain to Ofcom about them, Sky said please do as it is BT who haven't connected you - so I complained to Ofcom about the pair of them but, since they don't get involved in individual cases, hold out little hope.

In my case I think BT are to blame but Sky don't help when they can't provide any information.

Tim

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I explained to the TS people what BT had done to my line and that it was all now working though my Adsl still wasn't they did a check and confirmed that it should be so they said they would pass me to provisioning, after I spoke with them and told them that the engineer form the exchange has said they need to do something at there end to get me working they just said leave it with us and it should be sorted in an hour or so and sure enough it was.

@tuffjam

Nope the tick only ever flashes when you reboot, reset the router the 'I' light is the one that tells you when your line is connected to the exchange.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Debbie Curtis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep still waiting !!

Hi,
      So annoying isn't it!!
      Activation Date 21/09/2006 still not connected.
      I have rang now at least 6-7 times each time made to wait at least 20 mins each time, when I do get through all I get from them is BT have a backlog and to wait 7 days when the 7th day was up told again to wait another 7 days.
      I have emailed them, no reply!!
      I so regret leaving BT and changing over to Sky....a total waste of time!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Debbie

I know SkyBB can be a pain but if you have a delay with your activation then it will be down to BT and there is nothing SkyBB can do about it.

Have you looked at the BT checker if not go here ans see what it says
      Order tracking: Landline orders You will need to register if you don't already have an account.
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update. Sorted!

Working just fine after speaking to the Tech team on 08705 515515.

The "Obtain an IP address automatically" & " Obtain DNS server addresses) were not ticked on my computer . Window is under "Network Connections" /LAN settings/Properties/Internet Protocal(TCP/IP)/properties.

Getting an incredible 7.5Mb on the Connect Package.

Regards.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the welcome Wheelie.
      I must have done something wrong when posting my message as I can not access the replies only under Threaded Mode under [B]Display Modes

How do I change it?

Jonty

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Jonty

I cannot think why that should be, try logging out which should delete the cookies set but the forum and then login again.
      Ray

click here