Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upstream capped?

This is a discussion on Upstream capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi These are my current stats. To me it looks like the upstream is capped. Can anyone confirm this? ADSL ...

WiganDrew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCWIG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upstream capped?

Hi
      These are my current stats. To me it looks like the upstream is capped. Can anyone confirm this?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12797 kbps 766 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 17.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 16.6 db

I've spoken to Sky customer services about this several times over the last two weeks, one guy even admited that the configuration looked a bit wierd and he would raise my query higher, result, nothing changed. The wierdness set in after a fault on the telephone line was repaired in the 10th Oct.

Is there a 'magic' phrase I could use or someone in particular I should ask for when I call customer services again.

Some history : My Sky service details say this -

Your Connection Details

We constantly monitor your line to make sure it has been set to support the fastest speed possible whilst maintaining a stable connection.

Line connection testing completed on 11/02/2010, resulting in the following settings:

Download speed setting
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 13.3Mbps .

Upload speed setting
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 1.0Mbps .

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Upstream capped?

All you can do is keep calling till you get someone who can make the change for you. The alternate is to use the Contact Us form, some have found they get a quick response with this method. - Contact Us | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Should have said that My first contact was by the Contact us form, but as no-one was actuallly comprehending what I was writing, just seeing what they wanted to see, I had ro resort to phoning them. Jumped through all the hoop including connecting to the test socked etc. despite explaining that I was using a filtered faceplate.

This is one of the replies even though I have been a customer since 2007 and I know what speeds I had been getting.

Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

I have just received the e-mail you have sent. I'm sorry that your connection speed isn't what we stated at the point of sale. I have run a test on your line and I have managed to increase your connection speed to 12.8 mb. I'm sure you will notice a difference in this connection speed.

Another reply

Thank you for your email regarding your broadband speed.
      We have looked at your line again and can see a constant flow of errors.
      These errors are usually caused by the set up in you property needing to be changed.
      Your broadband router has to be in the master telephone socket at all times, and not ever in an extension socket. All telephone sockets in your property that are in use, must have an ADSL filter plugged into it.
      Following these processes should reduce the errors and may increase your speed slightly.
      The maximum speed you will ever get is about 12 Mbs but only when the set up in your property is showing no errors.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

Alot of sky customer support dont have a clue
      I was trying to get a friend uncapped by e-mail
      a while ago it was a joke
      i will see if i can dig out the e-mails in a min

Someone finally replied that had a clue and sorted it

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here's an example of what you will have to go through

This took 12 days and 6 e-mails to resolve

I couldnt phone as its not my line

E-Mail 1

Description:

When i was in dlm for a few days my upstream was locked at 1312 and i synced in at 1107 or so upstream when dlm finished it set me to 10mbit down and 1024 up can you please uncap my upstream/downstream to 20mbit downstream and 1312 upstream max delays 8 it will then sync in at the target margin of 7db thanks

Reply 1

Hi ***

I have run a test on your line and can see you are currently getting a download speed of 10.2Mb. I have also check your address and can tell you that the estimated line speed for your property is 4.9 - 11.2Mb. My test also states the max attainable for your line is 11.5Mb (this is the most your line will support).

As we can see, you are within the expected range. I have also started a data line managment on your line. This takes 10 days and over this period we will push for highest speed possible on that line (ideally we will get the 11.5Mb available). I need you to keep the router switched on for this time. We cannot set your download speed to 20Mb as your line cannot handle this, this will not be possible on your line.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our technical team on 08442 410 515, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Thanks

Diarmuid

E-Mail 2

I specificly asked you to uncap my line and not to turn dlm back on again dlm is a pile of junk please do as i requested and uncap my upstream to 1312 kbps and set the max delays to 8ms (gaming profile) impulse noise protection off and uncap my downstream also the modem will then sync in at the target margin of 7db

Reply 2

Dear Mr ***

I have had a look at your account and ran some tests to check the speed. I can now see that your speeds are as follows

Download
      Trained In: 9213 kbps
      Configured: 9216 kbps
      Min Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Max Attainable Rate: 10560 kbps

Upload
      Trained In: 1043 kbps
      Configured: 1120 kbps
      Min Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Max Attainable Rate: 1043 kbps

This is the way your speeds will stay now and at your request i will not resume DLM. Your max delays are set to 8ms. As you are an SVBN(sky voice and broadband network) customer we do provide a broadband profile known as a gaming profile. If you wish I can change your line to this. This is provided to heavy gamers to reduce delay and lagging.

Kind regards

Abbie

E-Mail 3

Thanks the upstream is fine now its syncing in at the max attain and isnt being artificially slowed down for the target margin

the downstream though is still being artificially capped from the first person turning dlm back on
      can you set the downstream to arount 11mbit it should then train in around 10.4mbit at sky's 7db margin

yes please also use the gaming profile

and ofcourse please leave dlm off

thanks in advance

Reply 3

Dear Mr ***

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to switch you over to our gaming profile but I realised that when I did this the upload speed decreased so I left it as it is.

As you are an SVBN(sky voice and broadband network) customer we cannot manually type in speeds to set you to and have different levels, the one you are currently set to is the highest yours can go as the next one up is 16000kbps but your max attainable is only 11000 kbps.

Kind regards

Abbie

E-Mail 4

Hi it wouldnt cause any issues as sky have a hard locked target margin of 7db so its never going to sync in over what its capable of

please set The profile to the one below

16384 downstream 1216 Upstream Delays 8 Imp 0

Reply 4

Dear Mr ***

We cannot set your profile to 16000 as your max attainable is only 11000 , this would cause issues with your connection and may even stop your connection from working altogether.

Kind regards

Abbie

E-Mail 5

You wont be pushing anything and it wont cause any problems
      I advise you speak to someone in cst who will confirm what i am telling you

Setting 16384 1216 Delays 8 Imp 0
      wont magicly make my line sync at 16mbit
      it will sync at 10mbit odd at the target margin of 7db

As requested please do as i asked and uncap the sync speed

Thanks

Reply 5

Dear Mr ***

If your line can only handle a maximum speed of 11000 kbps then pushing a much higher speed such as 16000 kbps down your line is quite clearly going to cause you to have issues with your connection. I cannot configure your line any further as it is at its maximum at the moment.

Thanks

Abbie

E-Mail 6

You wont be pushing anything and it wont cause any problems
      i advise you speak to someone in cst who will confirm what i am telling you

Setting 16384 1216 Delays 8 Imp 0
      wont magicly make my line sync at 16mbit
      it will sync at 10mbit odd at the target margin of 7db

As requested please do as i asked and uncap the sync speed

Thanks

Reply 6

Dear Mr ***

I have adjusted your configuration and the only way go get around 1Mb (1018kbps) upload was to put you on to the gamer profile of 20Mb. Ofcourse as stated below your max attainable download speed is around 11Mb

If you could reply if this hasn’t improved your situation and we can try and adjust it further.

Kind regards

Christopher

Cheers Christopher

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh and the final result was

11.1mbit downstream and 1090-1110 upstream

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Christ. These people should not have access to re-profile lines, let alone be a first contact for customers with lack of knowledge like that.

Thanks

Looks like I'm going to have the same problem -

This is todays reply from sky despite having been told on the phone that DLM was suspended and the upstream has been capped at 766kbs ... Here we go again.
      Do you think I should ask for Christopher ?

Hi .......,

The DLM has been ran however the upload speed seems to be at its maximum at 766Kbps, however the DLM is still running and this may rise.
      To squeeze the most out of your speed please check the following,
      Your broadband equipment should be connected to the master telephone socket within the home. The master socket is usually located in the living room or front hall areas and are marked with a BT or Openreach logo.
      Make sure no other adapter, splitter, double phone adapter or extension lead is plugged in to the BT socket before the micro filter, this will cause a drop out and loss of service. You must avoid the use of extension leads as they can be prone to outside interference, this causes the signal to weaken and eventually drop out.
      The correct setup is listed below.
      Main Bt socket. Micro filter.
      Router to adsl modem side of micro filter and phone to phone side.
      Any other adapters or sky box connections should be connected to the phone side of the of the micro filter. All secondary phone sockets that are in use must have a micro filter attached before any other device and must also be in good working order as they will be interlinked through the house wiring.
      If the above is correct please try a different filter as they can go defective and slow down the speed. After this step you can contact us to see if the speed can then be boosted.
      I hope this information has been helpful, If you have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch with us again or call us on 08442 410 515 and speak with someone within our Technical Support Team.
      Kind Regards
      Jamie
      Sky Help Centre

Thanks

RESULT New stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12730 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 22.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 7.8 db

Phoned customer services and spoke to a guy called Keiran who admitted he didn't know what to do, but went away and obviously found someone who did.

The bad news is that he turned dlm on, but looking at the stat's I hope there won't be a problem

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just dont shutdown the modem for 10 days
      and with a bit of luck it shouldnt mess with things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast