Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Browser Problem

This is a discussion on Browser Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since the 28th of October my Skybroadband connection on my laptop has been acting very funny, and I have no ...

IceGuyver is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Browser Problem

Since the 28th of October my Skybroadband connection on my laptop has been acting very funny, and I have no idea how to fix it. I've tested to see if it's a problem with my laptop or my Sky Broadband connection, I can access the net just fine on my PS3 and my parent's Cruz Reader. However everytime I tried to surf the net with a browser either IE8 or FF 3.6.23, it will work for a few pages then it stops. Now Sky has assured me that it is not a problem at their end, and I believe them since I can surf the net on my PS3, my parent's Cruz Reader and download/seed torrents on my laptop. But I don't understand why everytime I surf the net my browsers keep acting up.

I've restored my laptop to the factory default, and discovered that I can surf the net using FF 3.6.23, However IE6 just won't work. Does anybody know what my problem is?

Here is the specs of my Laptop:
      Acer TravelMate 2310
      Intel Celeron Processor 1.4Ghz
      1.5 GB DDR1 RAM
      I'm using a ethernet connection to my Sagemcom Pack F@st 2304N Sky Router.
      I'm running Windows XP Home SP2, I have Norton Antivirus 2005, Norton Personal FireWall 2003 and SpyBot - Search & Destroy running in the background.

I would be most appreciative if anybody could help solve my problem.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Browser Problem

I think you may be being effected by this problem, the date coincides-
      http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/servic...gory=Broadband

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

IceGuyver (31-10-11)

Thanks

Thanks, Isitme! I cann't believe that the people at Sky didn't know that they were having problems with their servers.

So basically, I did a complete restoration of my laptop for nothing! Unbelievable..... well I guess that is how the cookie crumbles. At least I know it's not a problem with my set-up. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Thanks

I'm just wondering has been happening to any of you guys. It's been a good few days now and the problem is still present.

Thanks

No problem here, but the Help centre is still reporting ongoing problems with some lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I just find it really strange that uTorrent runs fine, and I can update my antiviral and malware software without any problems. But I cann't connect to Windows Messenger or use IE6 to surf the net, and that I can only surf the net with FF 3.6.23 for a few minutes before I encounter any problems.

The Sky Technical Support Operator said that this could be caused by a software conflict. But if this was caused by a software conflict, wouldn't I be seeing the "Blue Screen Of Death" everytime a conflict occurs? Also as I have said I've done a restore to the factory default and I've only install the neccessary programs, which I use on this laptop (as I mainly use it for accessing the net, and downloading files). I have a separate offline laptop, which I use for all my other important work.
      Last edited by IceGuyver; 02-11-11 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks

I am wondering if there is something else wrong with your set up. Two things come to mind, first is the easiest and often cures funny problems. Simply switch off the power to your router for 1 minutes, then switch on again. Check if it is any better

Secondly, an incorrect MTU can cause the problems you are describing. The easiest way to fix this is to download and use DrTCP (link below)

First use the drop down box to make sure you are setting the correct adapter, you might find there are several shown and the correct one may not be chosen by default.

Now check the MTU you have set. This should be 1500 by default, if yours is already showing this try changing it to 1492. Click Save and Exit and reboot your PC. If that does not help, try using 1458 and 1430, remembering to Save and reboot each time.

If none of these work, return the MTU to what it was previously, as it is not the problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks for the tip, I will try DrTCP right now. Funny, but my Network Ethernet Adaptors MTU is litterally set to nothing by default, the box is empty.... The adaptor installed on my laptop is a SiS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor.

I will try the MTU settings you have suggested, Isitme and see if they work.

As for turning my router off for a minute, I actually turn it off when I am not using the net during the night and I have used the reset button as suggested by the Sky Operator.

Thanks

I have tried all the DrTCP MTU settings you have suggested, Isitme. I have seen a little improvement but still it cuts out after a few minutes of browsing on FF 3.6.23 and IE6 just wouldn't work. I have attached a screendump of DrTCP when I first started it up before I tried any of the MTU settings you have suggested, maybe you can advise me futher on the matter.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Browser Problem-dr-tcp.jpg  

Thanks

FF 3.6.23 and IE6 just wouldn't work
      Have you considered upgrading these? Firefox is now on Ver 7 and IE6 is no longer secure and is on Ver 9.

You might also want to try TCPOptimiser, (link below) Just choose your speed, tick the Optimal button and click Apply Changes. Vista or 7, right click the exe and choose run as Administrator.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast