Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet cut off after late payment, massively slower speeds afterwards

This is a discussion on Internet cut off after late payment, massively slower speeds afterwards within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We're on Sky Broadband Unlimited. Our internet was cut off following an overdue payment. That has since been paid and ...

roast_beef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Internet cut off after late payment, massively slower speeds afterwards

We're on Sky Broadband Unlimited. Our internet was cut off following an overdue payment. That has since been paid and the internet has been re-activated but the speeds are massively slower despite being on the same Unlimited package. I remember on speed tests getting around 9/10 Mbps but now I'm getting this:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 1535 kbps 393 kbps Line Attenuation 41.0 db 41.3 db Noise Margin 7.1 db 9.5 db

I did notice the connection was being tested (I assume it's been treated like a brand new connection due to being cut off and then re-activated) but that was completed yesterday. I don't understand why there's such an enormous drop in speed.
      Last edited by Isitme; 31-10-11 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Duplicate images

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Internet cut off after late payment, massively slower speeds afterwards

There is something wrong somewhere. Your noise margin shows you are getting as much as the line can handle, but your attenuation says you should have more.

Plug into your Test socket and post the stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is something wrong somewhere. Your noise margin shows you are getting as much as the line can handle, but your attenuation says you should have more.

Plug into your Test socket and post the stats from there.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      I can't see it being something wrong with the equipment. It's been this way ever since our internet was re-activated. It was only cut off for a day or two. I can't imagine something has coincidentally gone wrong within the equipment during that time. Prior to the cut-off our access line speed was 10Mbps, it's now 3Mbps and we're only getting 1.5Mbps download speed.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roast_beef View Post
      I can't see it being something wrong with the equipment. It's been this way ever since our internet was re-activated. It was only cut off for a day or two. I can't imagine something has coincidentally gone wrong within the equipment during that time. Prior to the cut-off our access line speed was 10Mbps, it's now 3Mbps and we're only getting 1.5Mbps download speed.
      Your stats tell a different story.

Thanks

I can't see it being something wrong with the equipment.
      Part of the diagnostic process is using the Test socket. If you are not prepared to do this then all I can suggest is that you call Sky and ask for help. You will probably be asked to plug into the Test socket, its up to you whether you want to do it for Sky or us.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Part of the diagnostic process is using the Test socket. If you are not prepared to do this then all I can suggest is that you call Sky and ask for help. You will probably be asked to plug into the Test socket, its up to you whether you want to do it for Sky or us.
      Oh okay, here are the results from the test socket:

And here are my original results for comparison:

Thanks

Now we can se that your internal setup is not effecting your connection. This means that there is an external problem with your connection. How is your voice line, any noise? Again in the Test socket, try dialling 1 digit and listen, you should hear nothing except a very quite hiss. Use a corded phone if possible as some cordless have noise cancelling and others create noise of their own.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Now we can se that your internal setup is not effecting your connection. This means that there is an external problem with your connection. How is your voice line, any noise? Again in the Test socket, try dialling 1 digit and listen, you should hear nothing except a very quite hiss. Use a corded phone if possible as some cordless have noise cancelling and others create noise of their own.
      Unfortunately we don't have a corded phone. I heard only a very quite hiss like you described however.

Thanks

All you can do now is call the Sky Help and tell them the problem, they should check your line and have it fixed. I would advise you to keep the router in the Test socket as they will normally ask you to do this. If you are not already in it, it can mean calling back again.

Before you call, if you have extension sockets, can you check they have no dial tone with the faceplate removed.

To be honest I think what has happened is that when you were disconnected your original connection to the exchange has been removed. When reconnected it has been plugged into another, possibly faulty, connection in the exchange. This is possible especially if your exchange is a busy one.

TomD

Useful Utilites

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

roast_beef (31-10-11)

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If the 'cut off' has been down to late payment, then it'll usually mean that the mac address of the router is just suspended, rather than physically unplugging from the port.

Could be DLM has the line capped with high INP, so just a reprofile will sort that. As suggested, give Sky a call and see what they can do for you.

Edit: Doubt that line will ever see 9-10mbps, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to User05 For This Useful Post:

roast_beef (01-11-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast