Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky broadband speed dropping on file upload and 'open' WEP encryption?

This is a discussion on Sky broadband speed dropping on file upload and 'open' WEP encryption? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, after lurking for a bit thought i'd join in, anyway i've just got a couple of questions about ...

the_sandman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Montfort
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky broadband speed dropping on file upload and 'open' WEP encryption?

Hi there, after lurking for a bit thought i'd join in, anyway i've just got a couple of questions about my Sky broadband and router.

Firstly, whilst the speeds I get aren't too far from Sky's estimate of 6Mbps it seems recently whenever I am trying to upload any relatively large amount of data (such as photos to Flickr) my download speed comes to a grinding halt. As soon as the upload is done it goes back up again, I've never experienced this with any other ADSL connection i've had before.

Secondly, Ive got some AIBOs that i've been wanting to connect to the internet, but as they're from 2005 they only support WEP security. Now i've got an Apple time capsule connected to the Sky router which I use as my primary router so was looking to use the Sky router's Wi-Fi for older devices, as I already hide my SSID's and have MAC address filtering on it.

However when I tried to setup the WEP security, I can only use the 'shared' encryption, and the AIBOs will only connect with 'open' encryption. I'm assuming as theres a drop down list it should be there too?

Anyway, sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated, I've posted my statistics below if they're of any help too

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4731 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 dB 25.7 dB
      Noise Margin 9.1 dB 13.9 dB

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky broadband speed dropping on file upload and 'open' WEP encryption?

Basically when you are maxing out your upload, there is no bandwidth left to send requests for the download. You can only restrict the upload speed to allow some bandwidth for requests.

With regards the WEP setting, when you select the WEP button at the top you will see a box with Automatic. This is the selection box, click this and select Open System'

Your speed is about half of what you should have, plug into your Test socket and post your stats from there, use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah ok, at least i know its not a unique issue.

On the wireless setup page this is what i get when I choose WEP security, with the shared in the bottom right being the only option, weird seeing as the help text on the right of the page says the default setting is open

Screen Shot 2011-10-31 at 14.29.04 by hector.bruce, on Flickr

Ah ok, i'll try it in the test socket when i can without disrupting the equilibrium in the house too much, thank you

Thanks

Are you not able to change where it says Shared? This is a bit different from the Netgear where the default is Automatic with Open as the alternate. You could try resetting the router by pushing a pin in the reset hole on the rear, but I think it may be a glitch in the firmware. The 2304n has had problems with the firmware right from the start. Maybe someone with that router could say what they have available.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It seems like its a firmware issue as clicking on the 'shared' list just gives me the option of shared, bit of a useless drop down list.

I can attempt resetting it but would it be any use to call sky and see if they have a fixed firmware? Or would it be a waste of time?

Thanks

I would try resetting it first. If that does not help, unplug it from the phone line for a few minutes then put it back.

If you can post the firmware you have, someone will let you know if you have the latest. You could also try installing firmware that is on the disk supplied by Sky.

If all fails all you can do is phone Sky and explain your problem. If they start asking you to try another filter etc, politely decline and tell them the problem is in the router, changing the filter is not going to make any difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Right, well I tried a reset and unplugging it but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I know the CD is somewhere in the house, will try and fish it out :P

Looks like it may be a call to sky, at least they're free so its not all bad

The router says its firmware is version is 5.14.6.1a4N and the ADSL Firmware Version is A2pD030n.d23b