Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow internet speeds for prolonged period

This is a discussion on Slow internet speeds for prolonged period within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For since I can remember my internet has always been slow in downloading and such, here is a speed test: ...

Foran is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow internet speeds for prolonged period

For since I can remember my internet has always been slow in downloading and such, here is a speed test:

I use my computer frequently, have internet security and all, don't have any background programs. All my downloads (I can see as I've had it for such a long time, able to compare) are never higher than 160/200 kbs, usually a little lower though. I know this isn't very reliable as slow downloads and such are often to do with the backend but I don't think this is a coincidence. My other friends seem to be able to download the same things I download, a lot quicker and they live relatively close so I am suspicious that there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

I've copied my statistics from my router below, although I'm not a very computery person so I don't know what it means but maybe someone knows what's wrong? any possibilities?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, it's been going on years now and I don't know if it's normal or a problem, just helped if I could have someone who knows what they're talking about look into it.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow internet speeds for prolonged period

You have quite a long line and will never get a very good speed. However your line appears to be capped, which is reducing your speed. Plug into your Test socket and post your stats from there. Use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Your speed will not increase but a further increase in your noise margin will indicate something in your internal setup if slowing your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Foran is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Did exactly that, removed the face plate and plugged it directly into the engineers socket. I tried three times, though every time I did it simply said, on the router page-
      'Connecting to Server ADSL Link Down

After putting the face plate back on and putting it back to how it was normally, it connected instantly as usual... any ideas what I'm doing wrong or if there's another problem getting in the way?

EDIT: I just noticed there was some change on the statistics page from last time... if this means anything;

And a test again if that means anything:
      Last edited by Foran; 31-10-11 at 06:17 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

any ideas what I'm doing wrong or if there's another problem getting in the way?
      I think there is probably some residue in the Test socket which is stopping a proper connection with the filter plug. If you have some WD40 or terminal cleaner, spray some in the socket and work a plug in and out a few times, then dry up the surplus with a lint free cloth. If you don't have WD40, work the plug in and out half a dozen times and see if that helps.

You speed has increased by 50% but given your previous noise margin and what it is now, I would have expected a bit more. Try cleaning the socket and try again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foran View Post
      After putting the face plate back on and putting it back to how it was normally, it connected instantly as usual... any ideas what I'm doing wrong or if there's another problem getting in the way?
      It's possible your master socket is incorrectly wired.

Try a phone in the the test socket.Does it work?

Then plug the phone into the faceplate but DON'T mate the faceplate with the back portion.Does the phone work?

Please report back.

If your wiring is not correct it may well explain the speed variations.

Andy