Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow internet on desktop sometimes

This is a discussion on Extremely slow internet on desktop sometimes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, Im new here and for all the wrong reasons, because my wireless router keeps playing up. Im new ...

Dameize is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extremely slow internet on desktop sometimes

Hello all,
      Im new here and for all the wrong reasons, because my wireless router keeps playing up.

Im new to sky and got sky internet maybe a week ago. I was getting slow speeds on training and they simply upped my speed to the maximum of 15megabits and bypassed training.

My internet goes fast @ 1.5mbps on my laptop 99% of the time and also on my sisters laptop.

On my desktop however, it does go full speed sometimes but then others its just extremely slow at like 100kbps and whatnot or no more then 300kbps and then I might reset my wireless adapter and it might be fast or I might reset the wireless or even stick the usb adapter for my wireless in another port and that might fix it.

Ive downloaded over 100gb on my desktop at over 1mbps - 1.5mbps no worries on the good days but then the lat day or two its been constantly bad and nothing would fix it so I tried installing my OS again this time ubuntu and its not done anything at all its still slow.

I originally thought it might be because my desktops upstairs but the laptop at the same desk is fast so its nothing to do with distance.

I am a computer technician by trade so ive tried the general - advanced things e.g. reseting drivers, wiping router, changing channels, OS reinstall and whatnot and its not fixed it.

My conclusion is that theres an issue with my wireless card as pc wise it could only be that or software issues and an OS reinstall has done nothing.

What do you guys think? ive ordered a linksys wireless g with booster and it should come in a few days so hopefully that fixes it.

What are the sky routers like in general? id prefer my own but cant afford it at the moment.

cheers.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Extremely slow internet on desktop sometimes

I had a Linksys g with range booster and it was very good, but as you have an N router it might have been better is you had got an N adapter. I got a TP-Link 300mbps adapter for around a tenner and it works very well, connecting at full speed to my Dlink router.

I can't comment on the newer routers, but I have been very happy with my GT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.