Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New router, old connection..

This is a discussion on New router, old connection.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme It could very well be that it is down to your phone not being enabled. They ...

Lino is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New router, old connection..

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It could very well be that it is down to your phone not being enabled. They may have disconnected it at the exchange and left the broadband plugged in. Although broadband will work independent of the phone, it works better with one enabled. I am not sure why, it may be because there is no voltage on the phone line, but that is a geuss. If our friend Brian is around he will let us know what actually happens.

It is probably not worth bothering about it till you phone is connected, then all may be clear.
      Interesting.. Didn't know that. As I said above the engineer is booked for the 18th, I might well connect this new router to see if it works but other than that I'm sure I can wait till the line gets connected, then we'll keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks by the way.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You should just continue to use it as long as it is active. It might not be very fast but it is better,(and cheaper) than 3g.

The other router will work OK, each router has its own username and password, not the user.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Just so that you are aware, when you live date arrives, your connection may go for a few days if you were promised that you BB would go live after the telephone is connected.

Also whether it goes live on the same day or about 10 days later, the connection speed will drop to 4Mb d/l & about 600kb u/l. This is the starting speed for DLM which will kick in a few days later and not to be worried about.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well.. I'm back!

After a lot of messing about with Sky I got an install date for a "New" line of today, BT guy turned up, looked a bit confused, went away to check a junction box, came back, said there was a major fault with the line and went away again.

In the meantime I connected up the new Sagem router, he came back about 30 minutes ago, said everything was fine, congratulated me on my phone box (One connection for the ADSL, one for the phoneline so no microfilter needed), then was on his way.

I've managed to connect using the new router and the info that was with it so it all SEEMS fine. Here are my new stats, don't know how they compare to the old ones earlier on in this thread as they're all just numbers to me! But as someone else has mentioned it takes a few days for the line to come up to speed?

Thanks to everyone for their earlier help.

WAN MER 16174 358156 0 531 1088 0:38:41
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 2:57:54
      WLAN Up 398268 239862 0 8996 1656 2:57:33
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 32.5 dB 16.1 dB
      Noise Margin 16.2 dB 17.3 dB

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Welcome back to Sky Broadband! It sounds like the BTO Engineer is another fan of filtered faceplates.

It looks like the BTO Engineer has spotted a pre-existing issue with your connection. Your original figures have been dramatically altered. Your new Line Attenuation suggests that you should expect to get between 12-14Mb according to the tool on this site.

As you've correctly hinted, DLM should commence some time over the next 3 days, but has been known to start after 4 days. It will typically take no more than 10 days to complete after that date.

Your speed will gradually increase over the period that it is working. In the mean time, just leave the router switched on and running 24/7.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for confirming that Scubbie, back in the day I was getting up to around 14meg download so that makes sense.

At least we're heading in the right direction!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12