Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

From Bad, To Worst!

This is a discussion on From Bad, To Worst! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Why to start! Which package to choose? After being blown away with the idea of getting cheap broadband for only ...

Raging Rat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eccles
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy From Bad, To Worst!

Why to start!

Which package to choose?
      After being blown away with the idea of getting cheap broadband for only £10 a month, I decided to go with the MAX package.

Installation - 05/09/2006
      Being new to the whole broadband experience, I thought it would be more sensible to get a sky engineer in to install it and make sure it was working properly. This wasn’t the case however, after two hours the engineer had only managed to set up the router (and that was quite easy, all he had to do was follow the basic steps on the installation disc). Then trying to login to the Sky Broadband website was a problem (Found out later from the Sky helpline that this was a nationally). Credit due to the engineer however he did state that Sky were going to pay some firm to deal with the whole broadband installation, but they choose to save some money and just send all the Sky TV engineers on a week course.

1st of many Connection Problems
      After a week of not being satisfied by the connection speeds, I finally decided to call good old Sky. Luckily the first operator was very helpful (This wasn’t going to be the case on future calls). He ran through all the phone line checks and any other checks he could think of. He even noticed that I had been “mistakenly” placed on the MID package. I was advised to monitor my speed using the following web checker http://192.168.0.1/start.htm and then contact back after a week, if there wasn’t an improvement.

So for a week I monitored as requested (average speed was about 2.9mb, no where near the 16mb I thought I was getting). This is where the fun really started, I reported back as requested, explained the situation again, had the same checks done over the phone again, got put on hold for twenty minutes (Hung up, couldn’t bear that music anymore). Rang up again tried to speak to same operator, this wasn’t happening (Language barriers).

Finally after going through my fifth operator, I finally spoke to someone who referred my case up to Tier 3. I was advised that they would call back, in order to conduct further tests. After 5 days of waiting I received a call and I was told that due to my location from my local Exchange point (Eccles) & other contributing factors eg. Quality of phone line, No. of phones in the house etc. I won’t be able to receive the MAX packages.

The tier 3 engineers advised me to liaise with the customer billing service and downgrade to the MID package. I’ve completed this request, but I’ll wait and see how much Sky charge me at the end of the month. They were very reluctant to downgrade, at one point they refused and stated customers can only upgrade the package.

Apologises for being a bit to winded! But it had to be said!

Problems of current How Ever!
      Every time I turn the computer on and try to connect to the internet, all I get on the Internet Explore browser page is the Window error message “IE can’t display the webpage. Most likely cause You are not connected to the Internet.At this point I would then spend a good 10 minutes running the windows diagnostic connection test, repairing the network test and of course the highly recommend sky test of resetting your router box! If and when I finally get a connection, it’s not longer until I’m repeating the entire procedure again.

Any Feedback Welcome!
      Especially on!
      1) Just make it connect
      2) How to make it faster
      3) Is it worth downgrading again to the Basic package or better still scraping it altogether?

Current Speed at time of posting

Connection Speed 2463 kbps 713 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 db 34.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 7.5 db

As the sky quote says “It just keeps getting better”

2. Advertisement
      VRStu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I'm afraid I can't explain why you suffer disconnections but I don't think you should have to be running the network repair wizard every time you log on. Is rebooting the router not sufficient to get you going again?
      Stu...

ChrisE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi

To get 16mb you need to live very close to the exchange. Your router stats show that you do not. The key figure is the attentuation of 53db which shows that you have a lot of cable between you and the exchange. The Sky rep who signed me up did a line test and told me a likely connection figure which has proved pretty accurate - I also only get just over 2mb - but that is double what I got from BTInternet so I am reasonably happy.

There is some hope in that you might be getting loss in your own house wireing. To test for that connect the router to the master socket (the BT point where the phone service comes in) if you get a better speed there you can do something about it.

Sky like all suppliers advertise "up to" a speed the ASA are leaning on them and others to make it clear that few people will actually get that speed.

Regarding lock ups I would look at the set up on your PC first. If you installed the security software from the sky disc and did not disable the Windows firewall you would expect that kind of problem.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

VRstu - Resetting the Router, is luck of the draw! Some times it works!

ChrisE - Both windows and the security software have a firewall, should i disable both!

or should I disable the Windows firewall and then re install security software from the sky disc and leave that security firewall enable.

In relation to the master socket test! Is this located behind the removable panel! If so is this safe to have wires running into an exposed socket!

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The master socket should be the first socket into your house, ie one that is not an extension.

Have you fitted micro filters to all other devices connected to your phone lines, including the Sky STB?
      Stu...

CaptainK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @ Raging Rat

With regards to your firewall, once you've installed the security software from the CD, and that (McAffee?) firewall is switched on, the Windows firewall can be switched off. In fact, it is advisable to do so.

It is possible to run multiple firewall layers if you really know what you're doing, but not advisable on the same pc, especially the Windows firewall.

The security software on the cd has a firewall and so does the router. For pretty much most circumstances, that should be more than enough.

You can check various websites like www.zonelabs.com, www.sygate.com and www.grc.com to see if the firewalls are securing your pc properly.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Raging Rat

Sorry to read about the problems you are having.

As you have never had broadband before I take it you used dial-up if this is the case then the possible reason for the You are not connected to the Internet is the setting in IE.

Right click on the IE icon on the desktop and click properties then the Connections Tab at the top and make sure that any modem showing in the Dial-up box is set to Never dial a connection.

Apart from the advice already given by the members above you will also find some very good help and advice in the Router forum stickies and try using TCPOptimizer found here Optimising your Broadband Connection

Good luck
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

VRStu - When I connect, I've found that I get a better signal when I disconnect all the other devices from the micro filter.

Wheelie - The connection tab shows Never Dial a Connection.
      What is the TCPOptimizer and what does it do?

Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Raging Rat View Post
      VRStu - When I connect, I've found that I get a better signal when I disconnect all the other devices from the micro filter.
      I would try keeping the router on it's own in the wall socket and making sure all other devices have a micro filter. Have you got too many devices on your line? Have you exceeded the REN?
      Stu...

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      @Raging Rat

Go and look at the link I posted it will explain
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here