Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband - laptop can't connect to net but shows excellent wireless strength!!

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband - laptop can't connect to net but shows excellent wireless strength!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Today was my activation day for Sky broadband. The telephone line works fine. The sky modem has powered up and ...

angusangus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Broadband - laptop can't connect to net but shows excellent wireless strength!!

Today was my activation day for Sky broadband.

The telephone line works fine.

The sky modem has powered up and the internet light is on.

My laptop found the network straight away. I entered my password. The icon in the notification area shows connected - with an 'excellent' signal strength.......but.....

I cannot get any internet access

My smartphone also found the network and shows full signal, yet, can't connect to the internet.

Sky charges for the privelidge of calling them to sort out their problems!

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Edit:

Got into the router setup and found that it says: The router has failed to detect a broadband connection.

What the heck is going on?

Further edit:

The setup actually reads:

Status of your broadband and wireless network.BroadbandDisconnected WirelessEnabled

How do I change it from disconnected to 'CONNECTED'

Cheers
      Last edited by angusangus; 26-10-11 at 12:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband - laptop can't connect to net but shows excellent wireless strength

What OS you running?

Open command prompt (start>run>cmd)
      Type ping 192.168.0.1
      Also ping Google

Reply with the statistics for both - packets sent, received and lost.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband - laptop can't connect to net but shows excellent wireless strength

Hi thanks for answering - I'm tearing my hair out.

I can't reply using the Sky broadband, obviously, so am using a '3' wireless dongle.

If I disconnect from 3, I just get a timed out message from the ping effort.

I am using my old Presario laptop running WINXP (as my HD went on my Dell a couple of days ago)

If I connect with the 3 dongle, then try to connect to the Sky wireless, I can get into the router setup but then shortly after that am unable to access the internet through the dongle. (just like now - that's why it took me so long to reply)

But, whilst in the router setup, as mentioned above, it says 'broadband disconnected'!!!!

How the heck do I 'connect'
      Last edited by angusangus; 26-10-11 at 12:20 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Further to the above - I just tried using the ethernet cable and hard wiring the router to the laptop and got a message like - 'IP address conflict with the system'

I couldn't access the internet.

Also, confirmed that my telephone line is in working order!!!!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Try this:

start > run > ncpa.cpl > right click whatever connection you're using (wireless network connection for wireless) > properties > go into the TCP/IP properties > ensure obtain an IP address automatically and DNS server address automatically are selected.

Ok it and give the wireless connection a go.

Edit: In regards to this 'broadband disconnected' bit, where are you seeing this? If you log into the router, can you see speed figures and does the router show an IP address under the ADSL port section? Provided you have a green internet light, you should be good to go. If the light is showing green, but no IP address listed, then power cycle the router, give it a minute and check for a IP address listed then.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I've just tried deleting all connections then rebooting. Still no connection (although as stated, the icon states signal strength is excellent)

I'll need to disconnect from '3' again to do what you suggest. Having said that, I have checked the IP and DNS are automatic too

With regard to 'broadband disconnected', that is what is shown in the router settings here: http://192.168.0.1/sky_information.html under 'sky broadband' setup

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, did that, but still no luck.

I just don't understand why the router settings says 'broadband disconnected'????

As I mentioned, I get no connection when I use the ethernet cable either!

Exchange:
      Thanks

away to bed and have a sleepless night over this!!! hopefully get it sorted tomorrow somehow if you can help? thanks so far

Exchange:
      Thanks

Guys, just so you know.

Rang Sky first thing this morning and explained my situation. Fortunately spoke to a Brit so I easily understood him!!

He made some enquiries and told me that my Broadband is not activated until 3rd November!!!! He went on to say that quite a lot of customers have been told the same as me, that the telephone and broadband are activated on the same day. This is untrue as Sky have to rely on BT to switch over the broadband too.

So, it's a waiting game now.

I'll let you know next week.

Thanks for the assistance User05

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

A couple of points that may be of interest for you:

• some people do have their telephone line & broadband connected at the same time, whilst others have to wait about 10 days for the broadband to go live
      • most of Sky's call centres are based in the UK. Only late at night/early hours of the morning or during some Bank Holidays are call normally diverted to Mumbai.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast