Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line issue fixed - should I contact Sky now or later?

This is a discussion on Line issue fixed - should I contact Sky now or later? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, brief summary of what's been going on with my broadband. Broadband activated on 18th. Crazy stats.... From when ...

Azza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Line issue fixed - should I contact Sky now or later?

Hi all, brief summary of what's been going on with my broadband.

Broadband activated on 18th.

Crazy stats....

From when we were on Tiscali -

Upstream Noise Margin

Code:
      noise margin upstream: 19 db
      output power downstream: 12 db 
      attenuation upstream: 13 db

Downstream Noise Margin

Code:
      noise margin downstream: 6 db
      output power upstream: 20 db 
      attenuation downstream: 23 db

Also had problems with a lot of noise on the line. When the broadband became active, didn't have problems like that when the phone line activated.

Phoned up Sky on the 19th, woman raised the issue to CST and also booked an engineer visit.

Engineer visited today (I seen him sitting in his van outside then drove off after about 20 minutes he didn't visit the house), about 2 hours later I got a text saying my line fault had been fixed.

These are the stats now...

Now should I contact Sky right now? The woman I spoke to on the 19th said that the other issues - re line attenuation, would get looked at after the line fault had been sorted. She also said DLM hadn't started and wasn't due to start for another couple of days, but that would be on hold while the line fault gets sorted. Should I just ring Sky now any way to get their asses into gear? Or leave it a few days and see if they start things going again themselves?

If it's still the same come Thursday is there anything specific I should ask them to do? I've been told on another forum I may need to get them to get the target margin reset. Anything else?

Thanks and sorry for the messy post.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line issue fixed - should I contact Sky now or later?

Just call Sky and tell them your phone line has been repaired, could they configure your line for its best speed up and down. You should get 11-12Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

On the phone to them now. He's saying the max access speed is 10mb but it should be able to get higher but he's just getting some one else to run tests and if they can't get it higher then they will raise the issue to a different department.

***and a little while later***

On hold to go through to CST now. Guy managed to configure it his end but said they'll be able to do more tests and other stuff.

Here it is right now

Thanks

They still have you on G.DMT although your attenuation has gone up, which suggests that there is some problem with your line.
      Can we go back to basics and do the following.
      Plug into your Test socket if you have one and post your stats from there.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

If you don't have a Test socket, unplug everything you have plugged into the phone circuit in all your sockets, except your router and post your stats. Plug into the master socket and use only the filter and cable supplied by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The guy just said it was on ADSL2+ and when he changed it to G.DMT it didn't change at all.

All those screens and stats are from just the router plugged right into the test socket.

Thanks

The first stats you posted are on ADSL2+, the second and third are on G.DMT, which a line of your length should not need.

When the face plate is removed are any other sockets you have without dial tone?

I have the feeling that the guy who did your line made a mess of it. The only other explanation would be that coincidentally your line developed a fault when he was configuring it, which would be hard to believe.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nope no other sockets.

The guy I was speaking to at CST said that the initial config for my line was for it to be at 8mbps, which he thought was weird given how far away I am and that I should be getting between 11 and 18.

He phoned up Openreach to speak to them about what the engineer had done because he put on his report that contact was made with the customer, even though it wasn't. But they've told him the engineer did everything he was supposed to, he changed some stuff on the pole and at the exchange and has then submitted the case as being closed to Sky.

The guy from CST couldn't run a certain line test because of this and because on the Openreach system it still saying it's open because theirs takes 24 hours to change apparently. So I've got to wait for them to ring me or me ring them tomorrow to ask them to run this other test because he can't go any further without running this test. And they can't book another visit until it's saying closed on their system.

Here is how it's looking at the moment.

At least it's faster than before I suppose!

Thanks

Yes, but worryingly your attenuation is going up. This suggest a problem with the line. If it continues to rise Sky are going to tell you you are getting as much as you can.

TomD

Useful Utilites