Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Switch to SKY or not?

This is a discussion on Switch to SKY or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I currently have 10Mb Virgin cabled broadband, Virgin phone and TV but not charged for the TV as I don't ...

stangat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Switch to SKY or not?

I currently have 10Mb Virgin cabled broadband, Virgin phone and TV but not charged for the TV as I don't use it.

I also have SKY HD+ with 2 multirooms and Entertainment and movie packages.

I do not have any BT or SKY phone line only the Virgin one.

The cost is unjustifiable for me so I'm trying to work out the best choice for me. The best idea I've got is to change to SKY but I'd like to ask you all about the SKY speed.

I've run the SKY prediction and they say I should get 5-11Mbs but I definitely get 10+mbs with Virgin. The SamKnows says LLU is available and cable but does this mean my exchange is "unbundled" already or could I expect a faster speed later as my daughter's speed in Southampton is 12-20mb and she gets 10. I don't want to throw away Virgin if I'm only going to get 3 with SKY.

My exchange is Yateley in Hampshire (01252) code THY. It is about 0.8 miles direct or 1.2 by road.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Switch to SKY or not?

Your telephone exchange is 'Unbundled' and as Sky has confirmed that there is an available slot, this means that you can get Sky's Unlimited Broadband package & telephone.

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Yateley (THY) Exchange

As for the speed, this really is down to the length of the telephone line and the quality of it. Sadly this is the case for all ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ connections. whilst it might be a known distance between your home and the telephone exchange, the route of the telephone line may be completely different.

A good way to find out what you may get is to ask your neighbours what they are on and what their connection speed is like. You need to ask if they are on ADSL2+ or on LLU equipment from Sky or someone else (your exchange has AOL, O2/BE, C&W/Bulldog, Sky & TalkTalk). This will give you a better idea about the likely speed you may get.

Be aware that O2 uses a lower noise margin that Sky, so will have a slightly faster connection speed.

Your exchange also has FTTC available. It is possible that Sky may launch a fibre based product range soon. Check out the BT site to see if FTTC would be available to your home and if it is, then you could play the waiting game like many others.

BT Infinity – super fast broadband with a fibre optic internet connection

My current guess is either November or early December for Sky to launch their first Fibre based product. Last week someone confirmed on this forum that they are now listed on their screens at Sky.

With regards to your daughter's connection speed, if she would like to improve this, direct her to this forum and someone will guide her if required. There may be things which can be done to improve things, but I can't confirm this without any further information.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

stangat (24-10-11)

Thanks

Thanks

I checked the BT site and confirm that Yateley is Infinity ready and available to connect to my home. As you suggest I'll wait for Nov/Dec and see if SKY offer a fibre product then. I'm presuming I'd have to get a BT line and pay their standing charge for 12mths or so unless SKY could put a fibre cable in themselves if BT allow it!

Slightly off topic, do you know if I could keep my "ntlworld.com" e-mail address if I cancel my Virgin account?

Thanks for your help

Ian

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sky will not put in fibre but they will provide you with a line for about £39. If BT put in a line it will cost you anything from£0 to £120, depending on the offers they have available. You will be tied to an 18 month contract, 12 month with Sky.

If your email is web based, ie, like Hotmail, you will probably be able to keep it. If its not it may be closed after a few months.

Get a firm idea of what you will get on ADSL2+ before you consider moving. If you have a neighbour with a BT line, put it into this page with your post code and it will give you an idea how far you are from the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Sky will not put in fibre but they will provide you with a line for about £39...
      Not yet, but I would expect something to happen once they launch a fibre product range.

@stangat: The important thing to acknowledge is that there is no official word yet, so the November / December prediction is just a guess at this point.

Do get an idea of the ADSL2+ speeds in your area by checking your neighbours details if possible. The estimates provided by Sky are just that, but typically they are lower than what you will get.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Not yet, but I would expect something to happen once they launch a fibre product range.
      I think Sky providing FTTH, other than on an experimental basis, is a long way away. I doubt very much if you will see it this year or even next year.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

FTTH or FTTP trials only started in South Harrow last summer, so I would agree that it is unlikely that they will roll out this part just yet.

FTTC trials have been running for over a year now, so I would guess that all trials should have been completed by now. From there any suitable calculations should have been made too.

Personally I would expect there to be to product ranges. Just like with ADSL, I can see those who have Sky's LLU equipment getting a better choice & price range than those where they have FTTC, but not Sky's LLU equipment.

I just hope that they do not get capped like with Sky BB Connect.

Thanks

Thanks to you both for your replies.

My neighbours are away at the moment so I can't check with them yet.

I tried the "check" address on the SKY website and something came up which I thought was strange. My address said SKY was available and the estimated speed was 5 to 11.4Mbps and this was exactly the same for all the houses along my side of the street including the house to my left, about 30 feet away but not the one 20 feet away to my right! That house, the ones away, it says their theoretical speed would be 9.6 to 16.4 Mbps. I know they have SKY TV but I don't know if they have broadband.

As this is the only house in the street that has the higher rate, would this mean they have some weird connetion? They have a Virgin cable box which obviously has the fibre optic cables but I don't think SKY can use these. Also as mentioned before, I have only got the Virgin fibre optic cables and no BT/SKY line. As SKY would have to put in a new line wouldn't they put in a cable that enabled the faster speed?

Just thoughts of a madman

Thanks

The predicted speeds can be reliable, but since you are specifically looking to ensure that you get the same or more than the 10Mb which you currently have, I would suggest that you do need to speak with your neighbours.

As for the different speed, this could be caused from a variety of factors.

One example could be that you telephone line goes via one green street box, whilst theirs goes to another. If you have overhead telephone lines, take a look to see if your lines go to the same telegraph pole.

Thanks

Hi again all

Well I waited as Scubbie suggested and lo and behold Sky have launched their fibre stuff!

So, today I spoke to the man at the Sky desk in the shopping centre and we had a chat about my Virgin line and not being able to get a BT or Sky line into the house. To recap, the only line we can get into the building is the existing Virgin Broadband fibre optic cable due to various building problems. He suprised me by saying it was not a problem because when they launched the new Sky fibre service they made an agreement with Virgin that they would be able to take control of their line. He also said we would be able to keep all our @ntlworld.com e-mail addresses and our existing phone number! This would be exactly what we would want but it seems too good to be true.

My question is therefore:- is it? or was he giving me all the correct info?

Also, as before, he used the predictable speed checker and came up with 5-11mb. Now, as the adjacent houses have BT lines not NTL/Virgin cable and show 5-11mb, would this suggest I should be able to get the higher speeds and could I get the 40mb without much trouble using an ex Virgin cable?

Hope it makes sense

Regards

Ian

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stangat For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (04-02-12)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast