Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Switch to SKY or not?

This is a discussion on Switch to SKY or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by stangat Thanks again Scubbie What I meant by ports was are there any ethernet connections available on ...

dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Switch to SKY or not?

Quote Originally Posted by stangat View Post
      Thanks again Scubbie

What I meant by ports was are there any ethernet connections available on the back of the router. Sorry for being stupid!!

Having said that, I'll have to have a look at the logmein, that could be useful as well.

Sorry for being daft again

Ian
      I can confirm there are ethernet connections available on the router

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stangat View Post
      What I meant by ports was are there any ethernet connections available on the back of the router. Sorry for being stupid!!

Having said that, I'll have to have a look at the logmein, that could be useful as well.
      Ok, you mean the Ethernet sockets.

In Sky's documentation, they have always suggested that the Sky+ HD & SkyHD STBs should be plugged into the Green socket. The Blue socket was reserved for 'future development' and the two yellow ports were targeted at a computer.

Rightly or wrongly, it has been assumed that the green port was prioritised for Anytime+ traffic.

In appears that it no longer really matters which of the four sockets are used for what devices.

If you are short of enough sockets, or wish to have some other LAN sockets, then you can simply add a 'Network Switch'. For the home market these tend to come in two sizes (5-Port & 8-Port) and cost from a little over 5 for the 5-Port Switch.

I have two 8-Port switches. One is located under the TV and allows me to connect my TV, HT, Sky STB and a few other things. There are a couple of ports empty for the future. The switches are connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, which could be up to 100m long if required.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

stangat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi again all

Well, the suggestion that will probably work, won't! However, they have now come up with another which will.

It looks as though we will be getting fibre fairly shortly but the print server has been thrown out due to compatability problems with the printers themselves. I have rearranged the study so it is easy to plug in a laptop and print so I will wait until they wear out and then replace them with wireless ones.

A big thank you to all of you for your help and advice.

Cheers for now

Ian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123