Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Switch to SKY or not?

This is a discussion on Switch to SKY or not? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is something very new. Until now we were under the impression that Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband would only be ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Switch to SKY or not?

This is something very new.

Until now we were under the impression that Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband would only be available via FTTC.

Please do keep us in touch with what happens.

You may wish to visit your My Sky page on the Sky web site. There is a section there which will allow you to track your order.

P.S. I'm jealous, all these people getting Fibre and I can't

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well if you want 100% unlimited broadband then yes come to sky hehe.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My question is therefore:- is it? or was he giving me all the correct info?
      To be honest, I would take anything you are told by a shopping mall salesman with a very large pinch of salt. I don't see any way Sky could use Virgin Cable to deliver their fibre product., they are two completely different technologies. I think the salesman may have been mixed up with Virgin Media National, which is a rebadged BT product, same as Sky Connect, which could be used by Sky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

I guess there is no harm in placing an order? Worst case scenario is they would have turned up and said no we cant do it.

If the only cable you have coming into your house is a Virgin coaxial then there is no chance of them putting you on an inferior product (Sky Connect or Unlimited broadband)

No harm no foul. Worth a shot IMO.

stangat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01252
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Okay back again

I got a call the other day from a hopefully well informed Scottish lady. She certainly seemed to know what she was talking about and also what I wanted. I had registered my interest in the fibre optic product and she was calling to let me know it is now available in my area, did I want to connect?

After a few minutes she had given me much of the info I wanted but I had to go to work so she is ringing back in the next few days (I hope).

As suspected, the SKY man in the shopping centre was completely wrong. They are not able to use the Virgin cable, I must have a new line. You may recall my problem of not being able to get a new line to the house, but she gave me a couple of suggestions and one of them will almost certainly work. She has checked the potential speed as a minimum 29mb which is almost 3 times my Virgin speed now and 1.5 times when they eventually double the speed for free (slated as Mar 2013). The package she has offered me is also 15 cheaper than my current SKY and Virgin bills! The wife likes the idea of being able to get Lovefilm streamed (although with Anytime plus I hope she won't need it!).

So hopefully I'll be switched over fairly shortly and I'll let you know how it goes.

One question though, I want to run two NON wireless printers so I need a print server. Is there a compatability problem with the SKY router that any knows of?

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Good luck with the move. I trust that it will all go smoothly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stangat View Post
      One question though, I want to run two NON wireless printers so I need a print server. Is there a compatability problem with the SKY router that any knows of?
      The Sky router does not have any USB ports to host the printer. If you are unsure how to set up a computer to share the printers, could I suggest that you start a thread in the 'Asking for Help' section?

Asking for help

I would also suggest that you describe how you share them at the moment, if this is what you do.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie

I'll give that a try, just for info, with my old print server (which the kids accidently killed!) I connected it to the router using an ethernet cable. Do you happen to know what ports are available on the SKY router? Also in fact, which router they are using nowadays.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Opening ports is really something that you would do if you were sharing a printer so that you could access it from outside your home network.

There are, as there always with with computers, a whole range of different options available. It might help to write down what it is you are connecting to, what you wish to connect to them and whether you are doing this within the LAN only or whether from outside as well.

I share my printer with it attached to my torrent PC. Since I use LogMeIn, I also installed LogMeIn Humanchi too on my Torrent PC. It is possible for me to connect to my printer with my laptop from anywhere.

Unfortunately I can't use the Scanner feature on my printer as it won't allow it to be shared.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

stangat (02-03-12)

Thanks

Thanks again Scubbie

What I meant by ports was are there any ethernet connections available on the back of the router. Sorry for being stupid!!

Having said that, I'll have to have a look at the logmein, that could be useful as well.

Sorry for being daft again

Ian

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I dunno if its been mentioned as Ive just quickly looked through this thread...

1) if your getting fibre then distance from the exchange is not important, what is important is the distance from the cabinet you will be hooked up to, either way its unlikely to be really far and you will defo get more than your 10Mb virgin, usually about 40Mbps.

2) if your getting LLU ADSL2+ then there is this guide which shows the 'average' speed for distance which says @ 1.2 miles (1900 meters) your Line Attenuation will be 'around about' 26db (same as mine) and should get you in the range of 14-16Mb connection - I currently get 18,000k sync which gives me 15Mbps+ on download speeds. Incase your wondering why 18Mb sync = 15Mb throughput is because of overheads required for the transmission of data, these 'overheads' usually account for roughly 15% of your sync rate speed.

3) ISP's email systems usually run separate from the customers broadband account and ive not heard of an ISP yet that doesnt let you keep your email address once your gone as a customer - you should still be able to log in to Virgins webmail service but its worth emailing them and finding out -> its for this exact reason I recommend people to sign up to free webmail services instead just in case current and future ISP's do not let them keep email addresses, doesnt matter who your with for ISP your email is always the same.

hope this helps
      Last edited by snadge; 02-03-12 at 02:41 AM.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast